Discuss Is creating a wetroom a tilers or plumbers job? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
hi guys,

I would like to find out what's your opinion on wetroom installation. Do you think it's plumbing work or would you categories it as tiling job?

I'm sorry if that's been asked already.

Regards

Ron

B

Blunt Tool

It depends, I prefer to do all the prep work myself e.g. Wedi board installation on walls and floor, tanking etc right thru to tiling, only need the plumber to do the pipe work and fit the wetroom tray and waste, or if he's not sure I'll do it myself. Other tilers don't do any prep work and just come in to tile so it would be up to the plumber or joiner to do.

O

Old Mod

Most installs I come across, joiners do the basic fit out, we tank and tile it.
Can't easily recall a wetroom prepped by a plumber, most are not interested, or knowledgeable enough.
That's not to say that plumbers can't, just doesn't seem to be the way.
The tray and pipework only.
I'm happy doing it, but won't make final plumbing connections.

Reaction score
Cheers guys for your opinions.
The reason why I asked is, you hardly find someone who knows how to prep the wetroom. Not many people know the wedi,Schlüter or jackoboards. What they know is hardibacker boards, or plasterboard.

I don't like the tanking over plasterboards, it is just not the same as having the wedi boards which are already waterproof. The only thing you need to do is to tank the gaps , washers, and corners. I also think you pay a little bit more but you get the quality in the end especially when it comes to wetrooms. People cut too many corners.

D

Dumbo

To be honest it is quicker to tank the whole lot rather than faff about doing joints and washers .

Reaction score
Had a plumber recently put in a wet deck and didn't even put it in level .
You see, I had a tiler coming in with 20 years of experience but seemed to me he never has installed a wetroom. If you seen his envelope cut for the tray and the cut around the waste ( over 20mm space between tile and waste ) you would have cried.

The tile which had the sharp edge from the envelope cut was sticking out from the floor about 8-10mm. You will easily cut your toes off. He couldn't even put grout in between the envelope cuts because he put them against each other without a gap. He didn't even use a laser level for tiling , but well the result is horrible.

He had a perfect prepared bathroom to tile and still. Oils to manage. Mapei mapeguard, durabase, wediboards, everything was ready to tile.

M

Matt Bott

Cheers guys for your opinions.
The reason why I asked is, you hardly find someone who knows how to prep the wetroom. Not many people know the wedi,Schlüter or jackoboards. What they know is hardibacker boards, or plasterboard.

I don't like the tanking over plasterboards, it is just not the same as having the wedi boards which are already waterproof. The only thing you need to do is to tank the gaps , washers, and corners. I also think you pay a little bit more but you get the quality in the end especially when it comes to wetrooms. People cut too many corners.
I know in a lot of cases I've seen it's not that they 100% don't want to do it right there just stuck in there times and don't want to learn the new products and processes that have come to market I know a plumber who thinks it's right to tile to 6mm ply no prime coat, recipe for disaster but it's all he knows years of experience is great but if you speand 10 years completing bad installs then in your 11th year your still churning bad installs just my 2p

M

Matt Bott

You see, I had a tiler coming in with 20 years of experience but seemed to me he never has installed a wetroom. If you seen his envelope cut for the tray and the cut around the waste ( over 20mm space between tile and waste ) you would have cried.

The tile which had the sharp edge from the envelope cut was sticking out from the floor about 8-10mm. You will easily cut your toes off. He couldn't even put grout in between the envelope cuts because he put them against each other without a gap. He didn't even use a laser level for tiling , but well the result is horrible.

He had a perfect prepared bathroom to tile and still. Oils to manage. Mapei mapeguard, durabase, wediboards, everything was ready to tile.
20 years of doing it wrong if he gets to a million years experience still be churning dog

Reaction score
20 years of doing it wrong if he gets to a million years experience still be churning dog
Next time I'm there I'll be taken pictures to show you. He even left the sharp cuts on the wedi tray and walked on it. It's a sign he doesn't give da monkey. He used the cheapest tile adhesive on the market fresh from the bucket :) I'll upload later some videos how the tiles came off from the wall because he forgot to fit a channel for the screen :)

O

One Day

My plumber will fit the waste pipe but I install the tray, connect to the tray and sort out all the waterproofing. Occasionally, he'll install the tray but normally not very well!

Reply to Is creating a wetroom a tilers or plumbers job? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks