Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is a week enough for a floor to dry after a major leak? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

O

Ozzy

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong forum!

I'm supposed to be tile a kitchen floor tomorrow. There was a major leak in the pipework in the floor and since taking the old tiles up they have had a dehumidifier on and a heater to dry it out. Is a week enough? The dehumidifier has been off for two days and there haven't been any more damp patches. I'm still a bit worried though. Are there any easy tests I can do to make sure?

OP
H

Handyeire

Put a some buckets on few places on the floor, leave for 2 days and if damp appears, don't tile!

OP
O

Ozzy

Two days? Dammit, lol. I was hoping for something a bit quicker but will do that thanks!

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi
Is a week long enough, or a month??
It's dry when it's dry. Either measure with moisture tester. Or a simple quick one, use a bucket of water, or paint tin, cut a square of polythene and lay it under. If condensation forms underneath after a few hours, it's not dry.

Last edited:
OP
O

Ozzy

I should have worded that differently, I should have said 'can a floor dry in a week'. Thanks Chalker, I suppose I'll find out tomorrow! :)

OP
B

Bill

Personally, I would tile it but then I am used to fixing on green screeds. If the screed has already run it's course of drying and shrinking, then a leak shouldn't cause any problems.

I have repaired tiled swimming pools full of water, with the correct https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and they don't fail.

Some folk should do their homework about moisture in screeds before damning all.

OP
L

LM

After the initial curing of the screed (provided that it's a standard sand and cement screed) where all shrinkage has already occurred, I'd tile it once it was surface dry provided it was standard tiles or porcelain being used.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Nobody has dammed it. The word "major flood " was mentioned, so we have no clue how much water was leaked. So advice was to make sure it's dry, !

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
How old is the screed, is it a few weeks, months or years, i tske it has no ufh ?
If it was dry before and its got wet , it should be good to tile if still a tad damp .
Ive seen outside areas tiled on wet concrete with no issues ,.
My tiled patio was tiled the day after it rained , still solid as a rock

OP
O

Ozzy

We decided to wait another week just to make sure. The screed is years old and previously tiled with no problems. I've used Ditra matting once years ago and hate it, everyone seems to love it on here, I don't see the fascination myself. I'm sure you'll all put me right on this! :)

Reply to Is a week enough for a floor to dry after a major leak? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock