Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Is a week enough for a floor to dry after a major leak? in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Ozzy

Ozzy Active Member

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong forum!

I'm supposed to be tiling a kitchen floor tomorrow. There was a major leak in the pipework in the floor and since taking the old tiles up they have had a dehumidifier on and a heater to dry it out. Is a week enough? The dehumidifier has been off for two days and there haven't been any more damp patches. I'm still a bit worried though. Are there any easy tests I can do to make sure?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Handyeire

Handyeire Active Member

Put a some buckets on few places on the floor, leave for 2 days and if damp appears, don't tile!

3. Ozzy

Ozzy Active Member

Two days? Dammit, lol. I was hoping for something a bit quicker but will do that thanks!

4. Handyeire

Handyeire Active Member

I've seen it in 1 day, 2 days and even a week. A week would be better

5. Chalker

Chalker Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Hi
    Is a week long enough, or a month??
    It's dry when it's dry. Either measure with moisture tester. Or a simple quick one, use a bucket of water, or paint tin, cut a square of polythene and lay it under. If condensation forms underneath after a few hours, it's not dry.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. Ozzy

Ozzy Active Member

I should have worded that differently, I should have said 'can a floor dry in a week'. Thanks Chalker, I suppose I'll find out tomorrow! :)

7. Tom Astley

Tom Astley Professional Tiler

Personally, I would tile it but then I am used to fixing on green screeds. If the screed has already run it's course of drying and shrinking, then a leak shouldn't cause any problems.

I have repaired tiled swimming pools full of water, with the correct adhesive and they don't fail.

Some folk should do their homework about moisture in screeds before damning all.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JulianSidney

JulianSidney Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

What tiles are you lying in are you using?
    are you using Ditra ?

9. LEE MAC

LEE MAC Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

After the initial curing of the screed (provided that it's a standard sand and cement screed) where all shrinkage has already occurred, I'd tile it once it was surface dry provided it was standard tiles or porcelain being used.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chalker

Chalker Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Nobody has dammed it. The word "major flood " was mentioned, so we have no clue how much water was leaked. So advice was to make sure it's dry, !

11. Tom Astley

Tom Astley Professional Tiler

Actually it was a leak not a flood.

• Like Like x 1
  12. widler

widler THE Troll Wannabe Professional Tiler

How old is the screed, is it a few weeks, months or years, i tske it has no ufh ?
    If it was dry before and its got wet , it should be good to tile if still a tad damp .
    Ive seen outside areas tiled on wet concrete with no issues ,.
    My tiled patio was tiled the day after it rained , still solid as a rock

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ozzy

Ozzy Active Member

We decided to wait another week just to make sure. The screed is years old and previously tiled with no problems. I've used Ditra matting once years ago and hate it, everyone seems to love it on here, I don't see the fascination myself. I'm sure you'll all put me right on this! :)