Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Is 2013 the year you switch to Sigma ... in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Any plans to buy a Sigma cutter in 2013... ?

C,mon you know you wanna.. :smilewinkgrin:... best move i ever made ..:thumbsup:

OP
K

kaharrison9

I have a contact that Derek passed onto us but are not open till after the new year.

Just eager to look into cutters at the moment probably due to not been used to having a few days off.

OP
G

Gazzer

I have a contact that Derek passed onto us but are not open till after the new year.

Just eager to look into cutters at the moment probably due to not been used to having a few days off.

Never mind good things are worth waiting for. :thumbsup:

OP
S

Sigma UK

I'm the same as you. Just want to get out to work. Can only spend so much time in the house!.

OP
A

Aston

Your not wrong Ed just adding my point. It's all about choice.

true mate true..

what i will say about sigma is

in my honest opinion
1.they are built better than rubi
2.they are more functional than a ts cutter or a tx cutter
3.they are more cost effective (ie price and cost of replacement wheels)

so if you were brought up using sigma then i can totally see why you cant look past them..
i do like them and as i have always said they are pound for pound the best tile cutters out there but i just and only just prefer using a ts 40 and a tx 700 over say a 3g/sigma6 and a 3c but i would definately have the 3ek/3em over the rubi tx1200 all day long..

i think a tiler should use whatever they feel is right for the job...a joiner will use festool, makita, or dewalt. its horses for courses/tasks so there no reason why a tiler cant have a sigma for one thing, a rubi for another or a montolit for something else....

the best tile cutter is the one you are happy with :0)

afright

TF
Reaction score
I think the only reason I use the Rubi range is because most of the stockist in my area sell them I know speaking to the manager in Tile giant that they are not in favour with Rubi so maybe there is an opening for Sigma,never given much thought well did not hear of Sigma until I came on TF just plodded on with my Rubi,s but after the write up,s I have read on TF I think I will be making a change.

OP
C

charlie1

Hey all you rubi users wondering if you should switch, its not the cutter that maketh the tiler!!! Yes, TF ED makes some very good points, I wish i still had my old genesis 6 for more bespoke work as you can see the wheel. IMO sigmas are a wee bit better than rubis but is that enough to justify re-tooling to something your not used to using??? certainly not in this financial climate!

I do wonder if some people on here are on comision to promote certain products!!!

So your answer, should we all switch in 2013 to sigma.... Yes... if your businesss can justify it!

OP
S

Sigma UK

It's a fair point Charlie. You use what's suits you the best and works. And there is no reason why two things can't work next to each other. I think there is a place for every tool within stores and until now there wasn't much to choose from. I could argue that some people ratlle on about the other brand all day without giving a fair go on something else. Are they getting commission?. I very much Doubt it. Come to think of it I have not even seen a rep come on and help out. With Sigma running alongside other brands it gives you the chance to choose and maybe that way things would balance out. They all cost money and having to justify a couple of hundred pounds for a new tool is sometimes hard to swallow. But I'm sure the manual cutters are your bread and butter tools that are used daily and if you ever need to get a new one I would say look around as you have a choice.

OP
C

charlie1

It's a fair point Charlie. You use what's suits you the best and works. And there is no reason why two things can't work next to each other. I think there is a place for every tool within stores and until now there wasn't much to choose from. I could argue that some people ratlle on about the other brand all day without giving a fair go on something else. Are they getting commission?. I very much Doubt it. Come to think of it I have not even seen a rep come on and help out. With Sigma running alongside other brands it gives you the chance to choose and maybe that way things would balance out. They all cost money and having to justify a couple of hundred pounds for a new tool is sometimes hard to swallow. But I'm sure the manual cutters are your bread and butter tools that are used daily and if you ever need to get a new one I would say look around as you have a choice.

you make a good point, If i needeed a new cutter out of necessity then id give it a go but if been used to rubi then be prepaired for a bit of a change that you may not like. I have spoken to a few rubi users who have tried sigma and they just couldnt get on with them. Imo they are slightly more robust machines than rubi. Reason i like them is because they are lighter and more portabile than other makes and dond need a case.

OP
S

Sigma UK

Your right. Not everyone will get on with them but as least give them a go to find out. It's not hard to cut a tile with any machine really but what it also comes down to is how long that machine will last? does it cut cost most tiles on the market and how clean/good is the cut?, What's the outlay cost from the start, Power of the breaker and helpful features and cost of replacement parts if you need them. I could argue all day long about why I think Sigma are a good choice and how we make tools just for tilers and nothing else but it's really down to the end user that determines if a product is a success.

afright

TF
Reaction score
I've been using a Superior for years its the same type of cutter as the Sigma but the Superior I would say is very robust but a bit more brutal on snapping the tiles so will more than likely start with the basic Sigma ,but I still would keep using my Rubi's.

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
Hi ,

My name is Diggy and for many years now I've been a ............................ Rubi user.

At first I just had a TS30 , but as time went on the addiction grew and I moved to a TS60 , this kept the addiction at a managable level for many years. But then as market for porcelain floor tiles grew I knew that the TS60 just wouldn't cut it anymore so I had to move onto the Class A Rubi cutters . I started with the TXN 700 to satisfy my needs , but those B'rd tile manufacturers - knowing my penchant for cutters - started to make tiles bigger and tougher and so inevitably I had go to my local Dealer to get the TXN 1200.
However since finding this forum I've realised there are other cutters out there and I've recently priced up a ........................Sigma... , there I've said it and there's no turning back. I'm managing my Rubi addiction by leaving 2 cutters at home most of the time these days and luckily I don't rely on them too much now.
Hopefully a Sigma can bring me back from the edge and let me once again tile without my Rubi craving , well maybe I'll get them out ,, just now and then , for old times sake.

Diggy

OP
D

DHTiling

Going to be trying out the Sigma 115mm porcelain blade soon ... will let ya's know how it performs...

Reply to Is 2013 the year you switch to Sigma ... in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock