Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Internal corner trim or silicone? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

A

AlexJones

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi

Can you please let me know if a product like Schlüter DILEX-EKE or equivalent internal profile trim is generally visually cleaner than using silicone? I assume 3 way internal corners could look messy if not cut correctly but was wondering if I should go for some sort or trim like this for where my floor joins the walls, and corners etc? Funny but I have never seen one installed and have only ever seen sealant used for internal corners etc.

Also assume if everything has been correctly waterproofed one could use trim like this for internal corners in a wet room, or is it not advised?

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, personally don’t see the advantage of using trim in corners etc, over silicone. It’s more expensive and you will have to bed /seal tile trim interface with sealant anyway. If a good quality silicone is used ,applied well, (what’s not to like).

Reaction score
Hi Alex: much easier to silicone than to do a three way trim, if you make a mistake it will be glaringly obvious. Try a good silicon such as Mapei, they have a great range of shades to help you colour match and blend in with your tiles.

OP
A

AlexJones

Ok thanks, I guess I’m just not overly confident with silicone, and being somewhat obsessive with always trying to get a perfect finish I wasn’t sure if the trim would lend itself to a cleaner look. It I agree silocone is probably better - but just needs to be applied correctly.

Will search this forum for advice and tips when it comes to application

OP
W

WetSaw

Ok thanks, I guess I’m just not overly confident with silicone, and being somewhat obsessive with always trying to get a perfect finish I wasn’t sure if the trim would lend itself to a cleaner look. It I agree silocone is probably better - but just needs to be applied correctly.

Will search this forum for advice and tips when it comes to application

Get a mastic man in to do it for you if you're not confident.

OP
A

AlexJones

I thought you were joking about mastic man and googled it, and low and behold there are such people, funny never new there was actually a trade for people as subject matter experts in that field - thought that was something that just fell under the list of activities that the tiler, plumber, kitchen fitters or window installers carried out.

However guess I could hire someone as a job lot to mastic all my bathrooms, kitchen, windows etc as part of my large renovation project?

OP
W

WetSaw

However guess I could hire someone as a job lot to mastic all my bathrooms, kitchen, windows etc as part of my large renovation project?

Definitely be a lot more cost effective if he's got more work to do at one time.

Reply to Internal corner trim or silicone? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock