Discuss Insulation Boards on Weyrock in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

A

Anon1324

Hi all,

Got my dad's en-suite to tile, planning on laying some electric underfloor heating down and just want verification.

It's a weyrock floor currently. My plan was to lay insulation board (link below) on top of the weyrock, then the UFH with some self levelling compound on top of it, and then floor tiles to finish off.

People I've spoke to have said it needs 3/4" plying before the insulation board - these people aren't tilers so here I am to ask the people in the know.

Do I need ply before my insulation board, or will the insulation board be enough? Surely if I've got to ply it still, the finished floor level is going to be a good 40mm above the carpet in the room adjacent.

Here's the insulation board: Klima Thermal Board Insulation 5 Pack - http://www.screwfix.com/p/klima-thermal-board-insulation-5-pack/93806

Thanks,

Mark Frost

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Those boards from screwfix seem very expensive for pack of 5. I use 6mm marmox boards or Jackoboards. Screw the boards down straight to the chipboard using 25mm screws with tile board washers. Tape and glue the joints of the boards for added strength. Under floor heating on top then leveling compound no need for ply.

OP
A

Anon1324

Thanks very informative. So I think I had the right idea by the looks of it. Where do you get yours from?

OP
A

Anon1324

Floor will be coming up in part for electrical feed and also first fix of new plumbing so should have a good understanding of what's where under there.

OP
F

Flintstone

I never ever screw through a floor, unless re fitting a few floor boards or something

OP
A

Anon1324

When I put the self-levelling compound down should I just take it all the way to the wall, or so I need to leave a gap between it and the wall (and fixtures such as shower tray). If I need a gap, what's the best way to achieve this?

Mark Frost

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
When I put the self-levelling compound down should I just take it all the way to the wall, or so I need to leave a gap between it and the wall (and fixtures such as shower tray). If I need a gap, what's the best way to achieve this?
Not to the shower tray no, but around the walls apply some expanding foam or silicone just to fill in any gaps to stop the SLC from leaking to downstairs. At the door wedge a bit if wood to stop the SLC from leaving the room.

OP
L

LM

Be careful with weyrock boards they're normaly glued to the joists which often fails, I'd defenitly be looking to secure them to the joists first.

OP
A

Anon1324

Well in the end we didn't opt for underfloor heating etc, just with the size of the room mainly. But here's my work, very proud of it for my first go at tiling, but very happy to take on board constructive criticism.

IMG_3367.JPG IMG_3376.JPG IMG_3380.JPG IMG_3392.JPG IMG_3396.JPG IMG_3406.JPG IMG_3410.JPG

Reply to Insulation Boards on Weyrock in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer