Discuss Insulation board selection in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

T

Tiling&bathrooms

Hi all, some advice would be helpful here. I have a job coming up with natural stone. Part of the floor is being heated with a 12m2 mat. The substrate is a 20yr old concrete screed. My question is my insulation board choice. The mat will be a 200 pro warm mat. I believe that a 6mm board would be the best choice as I want to limit how much the level is raised. My usual suppliers are quoting around ###### a board (0.72m2) which are the cement skimmed foam boards however I am seeing several online retailers selling the foam only board which say that are suitable for my project at only #### a board (0.72m2). This obviously represents a good materials saving if they have the same properties as the higher priced ones.

Anyone used the blue or orange foam versions and will they do the job well if I fix them with a flex adhesive then fibre latex over the mat prior to laying the limestone?

Your thoughts are appreciated. Cheers

*****Edited by admin- no prices allowed in open forums please*****

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
how many square meters you doing

OP
O

One Day

They're garbage and after faffing around trying to stick your mat and after compressing all over place, you'll wish you spent a few extra quid!

Ajax123

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
They're garbage and after faffing around trying to stick your mat and after compressing all over place, you'll wish you spent a few extra quid!
I agree but I was wondering how many square meters... if its 12m2 then the OP is querying maybe ÂŁ90... not really worth quibbling about IMO. Spend the extra do it with proper gear and avoid having to revisit the site later when it fails....

OP
T

Tiling&bathrooms

12m2 mat but area is 26m2 so instead of using so much latex I was going to board the whole area hoping for a similar cost anyway and additional thermal benefits versus just latex

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
XPS Insulation would be fine for you're project and would give you better U-Values then a cement based backerboard. If it's a high quality XPS Insulation then you won't have the problem as Impish mentioned of them compressing. We've sold over a million of the 6mm XPS and haven't had one issue with them.

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
What tech requirements please? Regarding adhesive primer etc?
We recommend to prime the floor first, preferably a thermal primer. The boards then need to be stuck down with 2mm flexible tile adhesive.

OP
T

Tiling&bathrooms

Super. Prime the boards before UFH mat and latex self levveller? Cheers

OP
F

Flintstone

I used the blue un coated ones earlier this year on a 40m ufh job and they were crap compared to coated boards. I didn't supply materials so had to use them. Go on eBay and search Jackoboard, some decent deals on.

OP
R

Rookery

I've used the blue stuff once, supplied by the customer. Utter garbage. I would only ever use the cement faced Tilebacker from CTD which is always easy to get, inexpensive and they'll deliver it for me along with the sticky and other stuff. Just remember, 10mm boards are only 4mm thicker than 6mm ones but give you twice the insulation. For little extra money.

Chalker

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
I would pay the extra for quality.

Lest say they are ÂŁ3 a board more . That's about ÂŁ90 on the job. Not worth the hassle.

Reply to Insulation board selection in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer