Discuss Installing a Stone Resin 800 x 900 shower tray on wooden floor. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
The wooden floor on upstairs en-suite is sound and level and i have planned to install a 800 x 900 stone resin shower tray. See attached photos of the floor. The instruction says to lay the tray on S/C mix.
Do i lay the sand/cement mix straight on the wooden floor or PVA before putting S/C?
To avoid S/C going into the wooden floor grove, i was going to seal the grooves with mold resistant sanitary sealant (please advice which type), PVA the wooden floor and then fix by screws 6 mm hardiebacker board to the floor and then put the sand/cement mix on the hardiebacker before laying the tray. this will increase the tray hight by 14 mm (6 mm (hardiebacker) plus 8 mm for the S/C mix). Is this is acceptable as i do not want to remove the floorboard?
Can i use the tile adhesive to repair minor damage left to plasterboard after removing old tiles?
I am going to use Aquaseal tanking around the shower area and Bal SBR primer on the rest of the wall before tilling. I am planning to use slow setting topp tile or Weber adhesive, can i use different type adhesive on different type primers? or what does the professionals advice?
Some of the old plaster is quite smooth after removal of paint, do i have to make it rough before priming?
I will use Dow Corning 785 sealant around the tray, do i also need to use the sealing tap or what is the best sealing strip i could use? The current tray has a sealing strip.

WP_20181122_13_44_35_Pro_-_Copy[1].jpg WP_20181126_19_10_47_Pro[1].jpg WP_20181126_19_11_37_Pro[1].jpg

W

WetSaw

....and breathe....

Firstly make sure there is no deflection (bounce) in the floor, those shower trays are heavy!
Tile adhesive under the Hardie before screwing to the floor. SLC over that if the floor needs levelling.
I set trays on a tile adhesive, mixed slightly loose. Silicone tray to wall before tiling.
Don't scratch/score plaster, just primer.

Reaction score
....and breathe....

Firstly make sure there is no deflection (bounce) in the floor, those shower trays are heavy!
Tile adhesive under the Hardie before screwing to the floor. SLC over that if the floor needs levelling.
I set trays on a tile adhesive, mixed slightly loose. Silicone tray to wall before tiling.
Don't scratch/score plaster, just primer.
Thanks dpc, as i am a beginner, what is the best slow setting adhesive do you recommend? I am going to use Aquaseal tanking on the shower walls and rest Weber primer and then Weber slow setting adhesive. Di i apply primer on the floor? Also will use Dow Corning 785 sealant around the tray to the wall.
What is SLC and do i use 6mm or 10mm trowel for putting adhesive under and over the Hardie? walls are out by 2/3mm.
I am planning to first tile one row above the tray to the ceiling and then fit the tray and tiles the bottom row over the tray to the next row.

Reply to Installing a Stone Resin 800 x 900 shower tray on wooden floor. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks