Discuss Impey Waterguard how high to go (Part 2) in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Ok guys, after reading some of the replies to my other thread I need to do some re-thinking. I intend to do the best job I can, and because of the weight issue of using large porcelain tiles on my plastered walls I am thinking of removing all the plaster and fixing plasterboard direct to the Thermalite block walls.

I would like to fix the plasterboard by screws to the walls rather than using an adhesive or dot and dab method, (it might be my engineering background that makes me think it will be stronger) Am I then correct in thinking that this will then hold 30kg per sq/m? even over the Waterguard?

W

Waluigi

I would like to fix the plasterboard by screws to the walls rather than using an adhesive or dot and dab method, (it might be my engineering background that makes me think it will be stronger) Am I then correct in thinking that this will then hold 30kg per sq/m? even over the Waterguard?

The reason the dot and dab method is used in favour of just screwing plasterboard directly to a wall is because the installer is able to achieve perfectly Plumb walls. Knocking the boards onto dots of dry wall adhesive flattens and levels the plasterboard. Screwing the board onto a block wall won’t give a flat or Plumb surface.

I agree with @charliesw4. You could always screw after the dry wall adhesive has set.

Yes, Plasterboard with Waterguard will hold 30kg PSM.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone been brave enough and tried the non expanding foam stuff?
Keep looking at it but just can’t bring myself to risk it.

W

Waluigi

Once stuck it wouldn’t be a risk. It probably sticks better than dri-wall adhesive. The issue you have with it would be getting the boards flat and Plumb. Difficult to explain.

I use it often on smaller jobs though. It’s excellent stuff. Far better than gripfill.

Reaction score
Once stuck it wouldn’t be a risk. It probably sticks better than dri-wall adhesive. The issue you have with it would be getting the boards flat and Plumb. Difficult to explain.

I use it often on smaller jobs though. It’s excellent stuff. Far better than gripfill.
Can you give a name to this foam please?

Reply to Impey Waterguard how high to go (Part 2) in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks