Discuss , i need to make up 10-12mm with adhesive can i spot my tiles rather than spread the adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jess

I have a problem, i need to make up 10-12mm with adhesive can i spot my stone tiles rather than spread the adhesive, thanks

W

White Room

No to spot fixing, if you need to build up that much wouldn't a self levelling laid first to avoid a 10 thickness....or a 10mm cement board.

I

Italy

5 mm board italian :)

IMG_1106.JPG

J

jess

• I have a problem, i need to make up 10-12mm with adhesive can i spot my stone tiles rather than spread the adhesive, thanks
No to spot fixing, if you need to build up that much wouldn't a self levelling laid first to avoid a 10 thickness....or a 10mm cement board.
Its for wall tiles and its onto hardybacker already, its to build up to be flush with door casings, gap left was too big

K

Kevbos

They look like porcelain not stone .and I'd be careful how much more you keep coating that hardie backer as most adhesives only strong at a certain depth

J

jess

They look like porcelain not stone .and I'd be careful how much more you keep coating that hardie backer as most adhesives only strong at a certain depth
Kevbos, that is not my picture above, i am fitting 18mm natural stone tiles to the wall, with adhesive that can be used upto the thickness of 15mm, i was asking can i spot or do i have to spread the full time as the wall varies between 7mm and 12mm on to hardie backer board which has already been fitted, cheers

O

One Day

Spot fixing marble runs a big risk of domino spots - and also cracking, as the adhesive spots set at different rates.
A big no no unless those spots add up to at least 90% coverage when bedded.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Use another method to bring the walls out. Don't spot fix.

You'll also need to back skim the marble. And if they are light in colour perhaps use a white adhesive.

Q

Qwerty

Glue & mechanically fix tile backer boards to the walls. This will take up the room you need and provide a solid strong substrate on which to fix your stone using a full bed of adhesive. Marble is not they type of material to fix incorrectly.

Reply to , i need to make up 10-12mm with adhesive can i spot my tiles rather than spread the adhesive in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks