Discuss I need a professionl opinion on tiling and the price in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

AAW

Hello All,

I posted back in September and you were all very helpful with your advice on what to do about shade variation in my white bathroom tiles.

Anyway, same bathroom same tiles but I have an issue with the tiling itself and also how much they quoted.

The tiling I feel took a lot longer than it should have (around 5 days), this wouldn't bother me but the finish I don't think is great. The tiler came via my builder who we have used for most of the work in our flat and have generally been happy and any issues he has put right however I don't think the tiler he used is a tiler by trade, I have asked him if this is the case and he hasn't answered.

Here are some pics of the job. We ordered 17m2 of tiles and had about 4 boxes left over - to give you a rough idea of size. The tiles are 100 x 100 mm and we asked for 1mm gaps. He quoted £350 to make good walls and ceiling and £1,100 for the tiling then a 10% discount due to client loyalty (however resulted in this being potentially a side job). As you will notice from the images I don't know that adequate making good to walls etc was done as the tiles in places are not flat and in one of the images you will see that around the top of the wall there is a large gap that has been filled in and this varies in size around the room. There are also places where he has left in the spacers, no grout and it is just brown and when certain areas get wet the grout turns brown.
IMG_1978.jpg IMG_1979.jpg IMG_1981.jpg IMG_1982.jpg IMG_1983.jpg IMG_1984.jpg IMG_1985.jpg IMG_1986.jpg IMG_1988.jpg IMG_1992.jpg

The builder said it would be best that I sort out the issues myself as he doesn't think I will be satisfied with anything his tiler does so has reduced the price by £200. I have told him that I will not pay the remainder for the work until I have had the issues fixed (likely by another tiler) I assume re-grouting may fix the most obvious issues, I have been given a quote of £200-250 from another tiler to do so.

Please can you let me know your thoughts on workmanship and price for the job?

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

We dont discuss prices in the open forums I'm afraid. Workmanship isn't very good from what I can see on my phone. Lazy and poor attention to detail

W

Waluigi

Full tile on the bath would’ve alleviated the grout joint on the ceiling. There are many other dependencies to consider so difficult to really judge.

Yes, tiling isn’t great. That said, the close up pics we sometimes see are never very forgiving

O

On one

I wasn't going to be too hard on your tiler.......but then,no spacers used in places and more than a little bit of grouting here or there to rectify.
If that light above the lipping tile wasn't there,it wouldn't be an issue.

T

Time's Ran Out

It’s now going to cost you more to have the tiles removed, walls repaired, new materials and not to mention the upheaval - so i’d not pay a penny till your builder, who continually recommends this ‘tiler’, admits liability and pays for it to be done professionally!

Reply to I need a professionl opinion on tiling and the price in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks