Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss I need a new thin bed solid bed trowel in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
acaciaguy

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
many thanks guys. I will have a hunt around online tomorrow. I still don’t understand why tile shops don’t sell them.

Your help is very much appreciated. Have a great evening all

Last edited:

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Genesis trowels for me, not had them long but loving the tiger tooth one.

OP
acaciaguy

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have sourced the R319-8 and the R319-10 which are rounded 8 and 10 mm respectively. Would these be comparably to 8 and 10mm square notched but attain near 100% coverage / suitable to wet areas etc. What bed thickness would one expect with a 10mm rounded?

they also do a 4mm u notched for mosaics.

Last edited:
OP
acaciaguy

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The R319-8 U notched arrived today and I'm a bit confused. Ragni say that the 8mm U serrated edges are suitable for thin bed fixing - for larger/heavy ceramics, marble and natural stone wall tiles. They also say that the 1omm square notched is for solid bed fixing upto 300 x 300 tiles and gives a 2-3mm bed with 100% coverage. I always thought that U notched gave 100% and square notched don't? The 4mm U notched trowel they have which i guess is 4 x 10 they say is only suitable for tiles 100 x 100 and mosaics.

W

Waluigi

You can achieve a solid bed with most trowels but often you’ll have to back trowel the tile. There’s no set formula to follow. Why not try the 10mm trowel on the wall and back trowel the tile with a 4mm trowel.

.........if using large format tiles that is. Remember you can increase/decrease the bed thickness on either the wall or tile by reducing the trowels angle by anything under 90 degrees.

It’s all trial and error. All walls vary. Get some straight edges on your wall before starting to see where you are. I advise getting a 12mm trowel too. Also the tiger trowel. It’s great for your 600 x 300 tiles.

OP
acaciaguy

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thank you. I can get a bit obsessed with techniques and getting things right so thank you for your reply. The various trowel notches, types and what manufacturers say can get confusing.

W

Waluigi

Just think about a tile, the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ notches and how you go about collapsing those notches to achieve a solid bed or as close as is feasible.

If your notches are vertical lines on a wall then you would bed the tile in by moving it left to right. I hope that makes sense. There’s a good YouTube vid showing how this works with a glass tile

OP
acaciaguy

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, yes I have seen it done with perspex, I was always under the impression that U notches collapse better than square. Like you say there is no set formula. As ever many thanks for your input. I have order the 4mm u notched ragni to play with too. I tend to fix a few tiles then pull one off to see the coverage and adjust as needed. I guess each person has their own technique. I'm just a bit anal about doing things right, especially when using a new tool.

Reply to I need a new thin bed solid bed trowel in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock