Discuss I hate black grout! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jamie B

I think the title says it all!!
Just spent almost as long grouting 25m of slate as I did fixing it!! (well not quite, but you get my drift!!) I just don't know why its' so awkward to work!
It's 'greasy', messy and knocks up sloppy or stiff as a board...ruins your squegees, not mention sponges/bucket/anything else that comes into contact with it (I may give up getting my nails done at this rate ha ha ha!:lol:) and I'm never truly happy with the final polish....does anyone know the reason it seems so much harder to work than other coloured grouts???

....Phew!...I think I'm ranting...and there's more of the same on the next job..arrghhhh!!!:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

D

diamondtiling

I charge a lot more if the dreaded black stuff is in the spec, sponges, buckets etc, hate the stuff

:prrr:

S

Sean fsy

The best part is it wont stop black for long, go back in 12 months and it will be grey, better to just put grey in in the first place, but the customer is always right so just obey the last command

B

brian c

USE MASKING TAPE ON WALL GROUT LINES,WORK USING RUBBER GLOVES ANH CHANGE THE WATER MORE FREQUENTLY.I HATE THE STUFF :thumbsup:

J

jamie B

The best part is it wont stop black for long, go back in 12 months and it will be grey, better to just put grey in in the first place, but the customer is always right so just obey the last command

how right you are!...everyone seems to be an expert these days tho!..especially the buggers flogging the stuff!
to add insult to injury this particular customer was sold a very poor own brand from the suppliers ..not good.:thumbsdown: ended up in the awkward position of refusing to use it after the first patch..so had to supply and re-grout...will be having words with the supplier next time I'm in!:rant::rant:

D

david campbell

yip! the worst of the worse to work with,always charge a bit extra on top,sponges need tossed and the seperate float i use for the stuff comes out! yeeeuuuccchhh!

B

Benny Tiler

I haven't had the "pleasure" of the black grout. By the sounds of it I'm best off keeping it that way!

D

dagger

Black grout is proper,

difficult to deal with so you are not alone.

if you were wondering whats with the big space between statments..

i had to remove the profanity, dave,doug and the rest of the team dont like it!:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1779

One consideration was the use of black grout to give these tiles a "one panel" look.

shower1.jpg

But then we decided to avoid the dreaded black grout and to highlight the tiles with cream.

One key factor was the bleed of black onto the cream tiles. Messy Messy!

If I would have thought black grout would have added anything we would took our time and used it.

But I think its actually a better look.

J

jamie B

One consideration was the use of black grout to give these tiles a "one panel" look.

shower1.jpg

But then we decided to avoid the dreaded black grout and to highlight the tiles with cream.

One key factor was the bleed of black onto the cream tiles. Messy Messy!

If I would have thought black grout would have added anything we would took our time and used it.

But I think its actually a better look.

Looks loads better! shows the lines nicely:thumbsup: now go and convince all my customers ha ha !

J

jamie B

USE MASKING TAPE ON WALL GROUT LINES,WORK USING RUBBER GLOVES ANH CHANGE THE WATER MORE FREQUENTLY.I HATE THE STUFF :thumbsup:

like the masking tape idea on walls..might give that one a try in future.
I already use gloves for all grouting just cos of dreaded dermititus (especially during winter!) :thumbsdown:

Reply to I hate black grout! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks