Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How to tell if you're buying decent tiles online? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I've been surfing various tile websites for the last month, and have noticed several things:
There are some really, really poor and dysfunctional websites out there. In an environment where there's so much choice, they're losing customers.
Even some of the best ones still don't work terribly well (on Walls and Floors' site, view all or sorting doesn't work at all, and it crashes if you spend too much time on there).
Some take days to respond to messages (Tons of Tiles average over 48 hours, and two weeks for samples).
Some are great sending samples (TileMountain) but don't have anything you want.
Some are lacking basic, functional filters (TilesDirect; TileGiant).
Some of them just smell like a scam (TileMonkey - no samples ever arrived, no response to messages, ever).
Some blitz you with spam (BCT; Tons of Tiles, again)
Some are just ouchy-expensive (Topps).
Some have weird navigation (Target Tiles).
Some appear to have massive reductions from 'RRP', but you'll find the same tile cheaper elsewhere.
Some appear cheap...but then you add on postage and the bargain ain't a bargain anymore (Victorian; many others).

(Therefore, I'm probably ordering through my local tile shop who certainly aren't cheap at first glance, but will deliver for free, and were honest enough with me to show a tile I'd selected online (Craven Dunnill Ludlow) had problems with the glaze.)

I've also noticed there's often a more pricey, 'designer' tile (Laura Ashley, Rhian)...but if you look hard enough, there will be a cheaper version, which is almost identical (no names, 'cos).

That said, how do you tell if a tile is of decent quality? Any tips please?

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

@dottigirl
I know this doesnt fully answer your question but maybe helpful:
Topps do give discounts to traders.

Online Traders comments:
Walls and Floors have been good from a customer service perspective, fast delivery of samples. On the pallet I ordered there were 3 chipped corners (from approx 20m2) which they refunded quickly (within the day) - pleased with the tiles and good discounts making them particularly attractive.

Tile Mountain I had some issues with samples but nothing they didn't sort quickly and where my last (for myself) mosaics came from.

Recent Metros were from Wickes making the most of a 15% discount - packaging was a not very robust but the tiles were fine - no issues.

[DIY'er]

T

Tile Shop

Even though I work for an online supplier (one that is mentioned above but won't say which ;)) and this is my own personal opinion, I would advise, don't buy online from your armchair!

As for the quality, I can tell you 80-90% of what you see online might be fine. The sneaky 10-20% remaining will be a polished turd that you will be drawn to for price or because the design stands out and catches your eye, but in reality is on the "permissible limits of tolerance". You must see a sample of what you are getting before you buy, but bare in mind that ordering online and due to stock turnover, it may be from a different batch than the tile you receive for your main order so expect some variation in size, shade, and sometimes quality.

And yes there are some good deals about but on the whole, tiles are not a cheap purchase and you have to live with them for a while. You are far better off getting out the house, in your car, on the bus, whatever, and take the time to visit several [preferably independent] showrooms in your area. Talk to the staff about your project, ask loads of questions, tell them what you want and they will guide you. You are also far more likely to negotiate a good deal with a showroom staff member than a computer, and you have the advantage of seeing in the flesh a good display of what you are getting.

B

Bill

My advice is to speak to your tiler and they will tell you what to expect from the tiles you have been looking at.

Try and avoid ceramic for flooring.

Ask the shop what grade the tiles are (porcelain especially, if they do not know, get them to find out (1-5) 5 being the most durable)

If you see a particular manufacturers tile you like - ask on here and we will give you the yay or nay.

OP
dottigirl
Reaction score
Sidenote: Wasn't being lazy, but as you can see from my location, I'm in the depths of Mid Wales. I also can't drive any more (dodgy hips well before 40 - sigh :( ) so am at the mercy of my bike, the local train service or increasingly, anyone who delivers.

@dottigirl
Walls and Floors have been good from a customer service perspective, fast delivery of samples. On the pallet I ordered there were 3 chipped corners (from approx 20m2) which they refunded quickly (within the day) - pleased with the tiles and good discounts making them particularly attractive.
[DIY'er]
Interesting you should mention that - yes, good service but the (paid for) samples I received from W&F were chipped! :rolleyes:

My advice is to speak to your tiler and they will tell you what to expect from the tiles you have been looking at.

Try and avoid ceramic for flooring.

Ask the shop what grade the tiles are (porcelain especially, if they do not know, get them to find out (1-5) 5 being the most durable)

If you see a particular manufacturers tile you like - ask on here and we will give you the yay or nay.

I'll be DIYing for half of the job, the other half I'm waiting to hear back from someone (another one) who's supposed to be looking at my wetroom. (The third someone who hasn't been in contact or turned up. Another pleasure of living in the sticks...)

I mentioned on another thread that I found it interesting that Johnson Tiles do not have any ceramic floor tiles in their current range - I was looking at some of their old ceramic stock rated 4 on W&F for a bathroom floor, but they couldn't tell me the absorption rate and it could be getting pretty damp.

Reaction score
Some appear to have massive reductions from 'RRP', but you'll find the same tile cheaper elsewhere.
The question should be how do i find the '"RRP" or "MRRP" Even it if exists
I feel that that some companies make up there own "RRP" and discount to the price that they want to sell the product at to make their desired profit

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Sounds like fun. Well maybe Walls and floors were being very honest with you giving you chipped samples

I have ceramics in both wet room floors and have been down for approx 20 years. One room is used to get clean from the days of the farm and is where the dogs have been cleaned (was once a small parlour) with porcelain walls tiles set in cement render (they didn't give any problems either).

The floors are concrete underneath, a powder cement based 'waterproof' https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ which I think was from Topps all those years ago. Rooms are circa 10 -12m2.

Reaction score
Some appear cheap...but then you add on postage and the bargain ain't a bargain anymore (Victorian; many others).
There is no thing as Free Delivery as the delivery price is added to the price of the tiles
Postage and packing is expensive as tiles are heavy and generally not insured by courier parcel companies
So if the tiles arrived damaged the sender cannot claim compensation
The companies who offer Tiles at price and then postage on top are selling 2 services
1. For the tiles which they make a profit
2. For the post and packing which they pass the cost to the customer with no profit

Rosco100

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As I'm a tiler to trade and opened my own showroom 20 years ago as I was sick of fixing inferior tiles from the sheds,We only sell 1st quality tiles and the tilers near and far send all their customers to us as they know they will get decent tiles to do the job and can stand back and be proud of the finish.In my experience buying tiles from one of the above online tile shops (My supplier let me down) I ordered the same tile but when it arrived it was of 2nd quality,I skipped them as couldn't supply them to my customer as our reputation could have been ruined.......

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

I mentioned on another thread that I found it interesting that Johnson Tiles do not have any ceramic floor tiles in their current range - I was looking at some of their old ceramic stock rated 4 on W&F for a bathroom floor, but they couldn't tell me the absorption rate and it could be getting pretty damp.

You had me thinking and chatting about this today as our wet clots are ceramic. So the ceramic tile absorbs the / less water depending on it absorption rate? Why does it matter if a floor tile absorbs water (I cant see much expansion likely or them altering in strength) -.Do they degrade over time somehow?
If it's https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ related isn't that what cement based water proof at for?
So should we not have used ceramics (they are on concrete) and if so why not?
I see posts saying to is a harder tile but didn't understand why. On a wall is the concern extra weight ?

OP
dottigirl
Reaction score
You had me thinking and chatting about this today as our wet clots are ceramic. So the ceramic tile absorbs the / less water depending on it absorption rate? Why does it matter if a floor tile absorbs water (I cant see much expansion likely or them altering in strength) -.Do they degrade over time somehow?
If it's https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ related isn't that what cement based water proof at for?
So should we not have used ceramics (they are on concrete) and if so why not?
I see posts saying to is a harder tile but didn't understand why. On a wall is the concern extra weight ?
I'm hoping someone lurking will answer this question. I assumed it would encourage damp in the surrounding area?

There's a fascinating thread here where @Plan Tec Tiling did an experiment with different types of tiles to see which absorbs more water.
Ceramic - Tile water absorbtion experiment - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/tile-water-absorbtion-experiment.83567

EDIT: further thread here which covers why it could be a problem
Ceramic - Is water absorbtion into a tile a problem? - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/is-water-absorbtion-into-a-tile-a-problem.85486/

Not sure where the original thread was that it refers to though?

Last edited:
J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

I'm hoping someone lurking will answer this question. I assumed it would encourage damp in the surrounding area?

There's a fascinating thread here where @Plan Tec Tiling did an experiment with different types of tiles to see which absorbs more water.
Ceramic - Tile water absorbtion experiment - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/tile-water-absorbtion-experiment.83567
Not sure where the original thread was that it refers to though?
Yes have read that but didn't quite understand why more moisture absorption was bad - I thought i had missed something. So maybe making the structure walls wet as a route out of the tile? I was thinking something broke down,tile or https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ over time but maybe just the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ strength when wet. Our floors seem fine but maybe different on concrete. CTD for example just say " We would only recommend using porcelain on a wetroom floor. Any tile would be suitable for the walls. " but not why. House of tiles recommend ceramics ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to How to tell if you're buying decent tiles online? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock