Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How not to grout ... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
tile floor with 3mm grout gaps. Removed all visible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ between tiles before letting it dry. Used Mapei Ultracolour grout. Ok so far I _think_

Then I started to go wrong (!!!). Mixed the grout too thin and after applying it I decided I'd wipe a little from the top with my grout sponge and then add more powder to the grout in the bucket and then apply that grout a second time to my lines.

Well it seemed ok at the time but after a day its left lines with different shades of grey. I'm almost certain its not the addy showing through. Its like you'd get 10cm of grey, then 15cm of lighter grey etc.

Obviously, I'm very pissed off. Its a very small bathroom so not sure if its that bad to rake out and re-do but at least if I have to do it again I'll know what not to do.

One thing I have noticed is that where I did the grouting well (on the walls) if the grout gets wet it changes colour dramatically. So I'm hoping that just maybe this grout on the floor hasn't dried fully yet but its been too days.... 8-( When we come to sell I'll make sure to tip a cup of water on the floor to get it all the same colour !

B

Blunt Tool

tile floor with 3mm grout gaps. Removed all visible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ between tiles before letting it dry. Used Mapei Ultracolour grout. Ok so far I _think_

Then I started to go wrong (!!!). Mixed the grout too thin and after applying it I decided I'd wipe a little from the top with my grout sponge and then add more powder to the grout in the bucket and then apply that grout a second time to my lines.

Well it seemed ok at the time but after a day its left lines with different shades of grey. I'm almost certain its not the addy showing through. Its like you'd get 10cm of grey, then 15cm of lighter grey etc.

Obviously, I'm very pissed off. Its a very small bathroom so not sure if its that bad to rake out and re-do but at least if I have to do it again I'll know what not to do.

One thing I have noticed is that where I did the grouting well (on the walls) if the grout gets wet it changes colour dramatically. So I'm hoping that just maybe this grout on the floor hasn't dried fully yet but its been too days.... 8-( When we come to sell I'll make sure to tip a cup of water on the floor to get it all the same colour !
You can try fine sanding the grout usually find that works and you could put a grout sealer on

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for that suggestion! What would you use to avoid scratching the tiles (porcelain in this case) ? Maybe dremel or finger+sandpaper or multtool ?

G

GoneGuy

As said, mapei fruga Fresca pen and let it dry and add a grout sealer to it to prevent them from darkening

Reply to How not to grout ... in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock