Discuss How long do you leave porcelain to dry before drilling etc in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

LJD

Lucky it was a full tile that "popped ". I was fitting a V&B bathroom cabinet today. Adhesive is 3 days old. As I tightened it all up .I could here the tile "lift off" .very easy for me to re do etc .

But would have expected the adhesive to be good in that time ?

Thanks

L

LJD

Mapei Adesilix P9 . Will remove basin unit tomorrow . Then have a look. Client need to check heights etc .

Cheers for advice. I seem to get very good help here .

O

One Day

Something is very amiss, because if I'm not mistaken that adhesive is a rapid set! No way they should pop off after 3 days.
Give us some photos of the wall and the back of the tile... Will know better then.

L

LJD

In their spec sheet it does say the bed should be about 5mm I am using a 10mm trowel. wonder if the extra 2-3 mm when bedded is the issue ?

J

JohnMar79

What size were the tiles? Large format and limits of the adhesive as you say 5mm max bed recommended has probably contributed to it.

O

One Day

Were the tiles very cold before fixing?
Is the background waterproof?
Was your mix water clean?
Did you add more water to a mix which was already setting up?
Was the adhesive in date / stored correctly?
So many variables?

Tomorrow, check to see if some adhesive which is now uncovered, has hardened up.
Pics will be a big help.

J

JohnMar79

7mm bed thickness on a 300x300 seems a little on the thick side presume the walls weren't flat? Presume decent coverage on the back like 80% +. If so I'd day adhesive was too thick.

L

LJD

What also might have been the problem is the raw plugs and doing the brackets up .I wonder if by doing them too tight the rawplug was pulled from the wall "popping the tile " its only a theory , will see the truth tomorrow !!

L

LJD

Fresh water. No added water . fresh adhesive . Walls sealed with Mapei primer G . It was just old walls after the old tiles had been removed and the old adhesive cleaned off etc .

Reply to How long do you leave porcelain to dry before drilling etc in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks