Discuss How do you get Even Adhesive Coverage on Tile? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

wau5

I'm now tiling a really uneven wall and I'm using up mountains of adhesive to make sure that its well supported and has an even spread to it, If I Just smear the adhesive on wall and go over with the comb side After I pull the tile off to see how much of the adhesive has stuck to the tile- I'm seeing maybe 20-30% coverage max.
Is this normal? Do I just keep loading up extra adhesive in places where its needed? For the first time the lazy man's dot and dab on the tile directly ''technique'' seems the most logical one,however I'm still not sold on it.

Any special tricks/techniques for this kind of stuff?

Q

Qwerty

Ensuring your prep is bang on and making the walls as flat as possible is the biggest help. Sometimes tiles have to be back buttered also to ensure full coverage and bond. You have to observe the maximum bed thickness of the adhesive.

What tiles are they?

What adhesive are you using?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You have answered your own question..... 'A really uneven wall.'....
Good tiling is all in the prep....... Get the walls flat first and get 100% coverage..

W

wau5

Cheers, I was basically given some tiles, a bucket, a cheap 6mm Wilko trowel and said to go do it..by a person who hasn't tiled much himself and said the walls will be fine and don't worry about it too much..just stick them up.
fuuk.. Only now after deeper research I realised the walls should be actually made really decent, my adhesive spreading technique sucked *** , and that I need a proper 10mm+ Trowel for larger tiles (30x45cm in my case), I used 6mm and wondered why I'm not getting any good coverage as well...
The adhesive is damn expensive for sure as well just to spread it like nothing + I have spent so much damn time trying to fit them as perfectly as I can without realising that I don't have the proper tools to do the job :(
Oh well.. Live and learn and listen to yourself not someone else.
Damn Amateurs, I know i know...

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Don't be to hard on yourself Wau5, every days a learning day. Making a wall flater is not too difficult. There is plaster-board that can be quickly dot and dabbed then true it up with a spirit level. Filling in the deeper sections with render type products only needs basic troweling ability and then use a straight edge to level it off. Maybe over a couple of coats will make it easier. Anything that reduces the need to "dot and dab" tiles will benefit you and the bond strength of the adhesive. Don't be afraid to give it a go. Every one on here has had problems in one form or another but it gets sorted by asking for advice and "giving it a go".

T

Time's Ran Out

@Glynn - the problem in IMO is this is not DIY.
Learning how to use a notched trowel is 3 months into a Tiling apprenticeship and after you’ve learned how to use a grout float, a brush, and make the tea.
I stood in CTD and watched an Ardex video on 600x300 tiles being ‘fixed’ to a flat wall and it looked so easy - yet he didn’t flat back the tile with a skim of adhesive!

T

Time's Ran Out

Afternoon John. My answer was for making a wall flat, not to how to fix tiles.

Yes I realise that but his no5 reply was about using a 10mm trowel, not having the knowledge to do the job and being told that’s ok everyone has problems!
This is either a DIY job or a qualified trade, if your in between you should not be charging for poor workmanship - it’s morally wrong.
But that’s just my opinion!

Reply to How do you get Even Adhesive Coverage on Tile? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks