Discuss How cut marble mosaic squares without crumbling? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Jock McG

Just staring to cut marble mosaic tile squares – and need to cut them without crumbling, chipping and shattering - if possible?.

These are 300x300 sheets of 50mmx50mmx10mm squares cut into 3 sections of 2 (100mm wide) squares x 6 (300 long) @ 22.5 degree cut with factory plastic mesh on rear. Cost £10.00 a sheet so not cheap (or are they???).

I’ve got 30 cuts to make so need a solution.

I’m using a Vitrex wet saw (yeah I know...buy in haste repent at leisure.....) with a 180mm solid blade.

Before cutting I am wrapping the sections in masking tape to stop movement and also using a wooden guide on top to hold them down flat and help with pushing through saw (slow feed). In addition to this they are all being fed in shiny side up so the cutting direction is downward. Despite all this I’m still getting chips/fracturing and for 6 cuts made so far had had 2 of them fall apart once tape removed.

Is this what we have to live with when cutting these or is there a foolproof way of cutting?

1.JPG 2.JPG

T

Time's Ran Out

You may find a good thin blade in an angle grinder more successful!
Use a straight edge to keep your line.

J

Jock McG

Done that - not happy with results - blade is a 1.8mm in both grinder and wetsaw. The saw is getting a good cut using a guide it's the crumbling thats killing me.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

Looks like they are breaking along the fissures, you'll be hard pressed to stop that if they're that brittle.
You can get grinder blades at 1.2mm
Failing that, maybe you can polish them down to size instead of cutting them.
That's often how I'll deal with cutting small glass mosaic, polishing them rather than cutting.
Have to watch the piece doesn't overheat tho.

B

Blunt Tool

Try wrapping tile to be cut with masking tape tightly wound round a couple of times, then pencil mark tape where to cut. Then use wet cutter with plenty of water and don't push hard, let blade do its job.

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Pushing them through by hand isn't ideal, try wrapping them as mentioned above and use an off cut of thin ply, mdf or similar to rest them on and use that to push them through on so your not pressuring the Tile if that makes sense, and £10 a sheet for marble is cheap mate!!

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Currently pricing a marble mosaic bath , £150m2 and they want mitred corners so I will be feeling your pain when I'm doing that dude

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Few water jet cutter companies that would do it......depends if u can find one local-ish to you.

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yea they do get a bit hot but the nice thick padded tongue is so comfy on the top of your foot when kneeling it's worth it to me, glad I could offer some useful advisadvise mate

Reply to How cut marble mosaic squares without crumbling? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks