Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mp3wizard

I understand that it's not an ideal situation, but considering the bifolds open out, and it's just a 5mm gap, can't I just caulk it or get a strip to cover the edge?

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If it is going to be higher than the threshold of the bifold doors, it's not going to look all that good if I'm honest, you could finish the edge with a metal trim but again I wouldn't be happy with that a finish. How much higher than the threshold are you going to end up?

W

WetSaw

There seems to be some confusion about what your problem actually is. If it's the tiles up to the door frame then you'd silicone it anyway.

M

mp3wizard

Well yeah I was going to use a 5mm edging strip and tile up to it, so the only issue will be that the finish floor level will probably be where the red line is on the pic, the doors open out, so that is it really.

door.jpg

T

Tile Shop

That last wooden board up against the door, what are the dimensions of it? does the near edge line up directly with the corner of the wall (bottom right of the pic)? and can you unscrew it, lift it up and show us whats beneath?

I'm wondering if it can slope down to the door to a small degree by chiselling down whatever is under it, bracing it, screwing it back down, then tile/insulation joints sitting directly above the joint in the board and fill with colour matching silicone to cater for possible movement?

Not seen it done before but could be a realistic possibility....... couldn't it?

M

mp3wizard

Underneath the board is new joists, and 100mm insulation foam,

Yes i believe that board does go along to the wall, It's an idea, but I'd like to keep the floor as level as possible, with an already hard task I'd like to try and keep it as straight forward as possible, it might not come as far up as the red line, I'm just guestimating atm.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You are going to need at the least 20mm from floor,6mm boards, ufh matt, slc then tile .
If you ain't bought the tiles you can get some porcalthin tiles off @Ray TT @ Porcel-Thin .
How thick is the bead ? You may be able to just get away with it .
You can also flag outside up to the same ish height.
Me and @Andystiletiling did one, tiled it flush with the doors. So when the dots fully opened the outside became one with the inside :)

M

mp3wizard

I've just swept and cleaned entire floor space with a wet sponge, once it's dry can I put the heat resistant primer down? even if I don't get round to putting down adhesive/insulation mats today?

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As long as it's not going to be trafficked too much you should be fine. If it's going to have dusty boots all over it it'll be a waste of time. Personally I always try to prime day before I start.

S

Spare Tool

I'd definitely be looking at sloping your last row of tiles down to be flush with bifold rail as Paul suggested, just leave your ufh and SLC back a foot or so, it'll look miles better from outside than a big trim or whatever your planning when the doors are open.
Did this one this year and its quite a bit more of a slope than your looking at but sometimes its a case of make do with what you have to work with and find solutions..

WP_20160505_14_28_54_Pro.jpg WP_20160506_12_52_45_Pro.jpg

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks