Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

gamma38

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: It isn't going to end well. Good advise ignored. There is no helping someone who thinks throwing down a few tiles is easy. UFH, different substrates, deflection issues, awkward cuts and all with 800 x 800 tiles.

What could possibly go wrong with this diy job....

OP
M

mp3wizard

The tiles couldn't be got for cheaper, the tiler I was going to use checked, and I spent £150 on tools, so I can't see that massive savings would of been made, maybe £40 at most.

OP
Q

Qwerty

On a serious note, take plenty of pics of before, during & after then start a new thread showing off your work.

I agree with most that you are better off getting a professional in, but at the same time I always love it when the underdog shines through and proves a point! At the end of the day this is your property and not like some we have had on here before wanting to take on complex jobs for paying customers without the knowledge.

OP
M

mp3wizard

thanks chaps, the first challenging part for me will be putting on the SLC I guess.

OP
M

mp3wizard

Hi All,

Installing Insulation boards

I have got the 6mm Deltaboards, so firstly I was going to sweep the floor clean, then clean the floor with a sponge, wait until it's dry then paint the entire area with heatflex, once dry I was then going to lay the boards in a brick fashion, I was going to use 15 25mm screws on 35mm washers per board at 300mm differences to fix the boards down, once fixed I was then going to use some special thermal tape to tape the joints, and put a light skim of tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ over the joints as per 3-falls picture on page 2.

Are there any problems with my plan so far?

I understand that I need to leave a 5mm gap all around the edges for expansion/movement is that correct? and because I will be looking to put the SLC ontop, would it be wise to purchase and install the spongy foam spacers all around the room for this purpose? because I'm worried that when I pour the SLC out, especially around the bifold doors that it will just go into the tracks if I don't protect it...

OP
F

Flintstone

Your half way right, your best sticking the boards with tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ as well as screwing. Use a 6 or 8mm notch trowel, no dot and dab.

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock