Discuss How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

Under floor heating or UFH.
It has several purposes.
It gives a far better transference of heat from cable to tile.
It should give you a flat surface to tile to.
And as already mentioned, will protect your cables from accidental damage.

UFH wires NEED to be fully encased for them to be efficient and to prevent them burning out.
Covering them with tile adhesive does not perform these tasks well!!
You may think you you've covered them or fully encased them, but you're just as likely to have not.
If there was a divided opinion on here I could understand your hesitance, but there isn't.
I appreciate it may look like another expense, however, as has already been stated, the cost of the extra adhesive required will also mount up fast.
If the UFH is laid with dilligence then the cost of the slc will be kept to a minimum.

M

mp3wizard

you know it is disrespectful to refer to someone as a third party when that person is around,

I wouldn't expect you to come into my job today and be able to do what I do, but I would make allowances if you were trying to learn, when I have a much better level of expertise than someone I offer them a helping hand up rather than look down and mock them.

anyway, I'm very grateful for all the advice, so thanks.

F

Flintstone

My advice would be to take it all on board and do what your being advised by highly skilled and experienced tilers, and not to think oh there is no need for this that and the other. I think that's what is coming across from you.

D

Dumbo

you know it is disrespectful to refer to someone as a third party when that person is around,

I wouldn't expect you to come into my job today and be able to do what I do, but I would make allowances if you were trying to learn, when I have a much better level of expertise than someone I offer them a helping hand up rather than look down and mock them.

anyway, I'm very grateful for all the advice, so thanks.
What would you think if the person you were offering a helping hand was saying what if I do it this and you not knowing it is not so good told them again and they then said again what if I do it this way . Also I have changed engines in cars brakes on vans clutches in tractors . Engine rebuilds including fitting an alternator. It is a different sort of skill they only fit one way . If it wrong they won't go back together . You can get a long way into a tile job when you can then realise it is going wrong .

D

Dumbo

Maybe I should say I started life as an agricultural engineer before starting work with a tiling company who taught me the job and then started me on the easy work when tiling was a lot simpler

M

mp3wizard

I hadn't realised I came across like that, if that's how it appeared then I understand some of the reactions, even if it doesn't sound like it I have taken everyone's comments on board and will be following it to the letter.

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
My advise for you is do not do it. You will regret it when it goes wrong, and make no mistake it will go wrong. It takes years and years to learn a skill/trade. A job like this has so many potential pit falls that you need all those years to keep it from going wrong. Why is it that people use the line we have run out of money so we are having a go at the tiling ourselves?? as if tiling isn't good enough to be a paid skill. Just browse this forum for jobs like this that have gone wrong.
Just my thoughts....

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread. But the amount of materials you require is quite a bit. If you got a professional tiler in, perhaps they can provide you with their trade discount on all the materials, and then you pay them to do it, meaning you'd get a professional job done, and the total cost would be little more than what you'd pay for materials and your time anyway?

And then of course, it won't go wrong. Which means it'll be cheaper in the long run by far!

Just thinking out loud. :)

Another option I've seen done, is a customer got a tiler around as a consultant, who kinda project-managed the job and kept popping in at each stage and advising. Think he helped with some of the tricky tiles that needed cutting around shapes and things, and the tiler got paid for his time etc and the job still gone done right, just slowly.

Worth considering all options. Because if that goes wrong, you'll be gutted.

Reply to How best to Tile a room? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks