Discuss Hi Y'all, newbie in need of some help!! in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a carpenter/general builder of 25 years and have been lurking in the shadows around here picking up tips for the many bathroom and kitchens that I do.

Don't worry, I'm not a "dot and dabber" : ), in fact, I'm very picky about my tiling !

I've finally joined as I have a problem with my wetroom at home and wanted some professional advice before going any further!

I bought a kit from ebay with the form, latex, skrim and corner parts and did as the instructions advised, one year later and I notice some grout loose, followed by a wet spot on the ceiling below.
I took up the tiles this morning and found that there is loads of water underneath, the adhesive and also the latex seems not to have made a good bond with the board. On taking up the tiles, I noticed that some of the tanking is now ripped, I suppose I will have to remove the first course of wall tiles and completely re-tank the whole floor and lower wall, or is there a chance I can get away with sealing evrything down with a new tanking coat?

IMG_20171102_090809[1].jpg IMG_20171102_090829[1].jpg IMG_20171102_090836[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
...Quick update on this...

I have found that it wasn't the material (skirm) that has torn, just the latex, I'm cleaning it up now and think I may be able to get a membrane to lay underneath the corners and skrim, stick it down and seal the edges to it.
There also seems to be water penetrating around the ring of the waste, I'm thinking I could run the new membrane into the edge of the drain to stop this happening again..

...(awaits someone who understands what I'm rattling on about) :)

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum,
is Slippery just your username, or your personality type? :p

I would say as it’s your own home and you’re particular about your Tiling, added to the fact you’ve been at this 25yrs, you don’t need any advice.
You know what needs to be done already, you just don’t fancy the aggro. :D

The transition between wall and floor is an obvious weak point, you need to be sure on your ability to completely seal it.

That former doesn’t look very well either.
You should tank well beyond the wet area too.

Did the drain have weep holes around it, we’re they blocked?

Reaction score
Hi 3 fall, thanks for the reply, Slippery is a nickname from a long time ago,, still denotes my character though!! :)

I've just finished cleaning up and am sure that the material strips are intact and that I can seal a membrane under the corners, then seal the corners down to the membrane and have a 100% seal.
It's not just the aggro of removing the tiles, i'm concerned that I will pull off the waterproofing if I do so pretty set on this method now (I hate to be the person who asks advice then ignores it but I'm confident I can fix it!)

About the drain holes, I think this was the problem, it was my first wetroom and I wasn't really sure what was going on with that bit, what is the correct procedure here?

O

Old Mod

It’s fairly straightforward, if it has weep holes, make sure they’re clear, and use only grout around the drain when tiled, not silicone.
If seep holes are not present, silicone.

Reaction score
I have cleared the adhesive from the weep holes and the ring of the drain but this is under the tiles when its finished, is it just a case of leaving the ring and holes clear when spreading the adhesive, leaving a small void beneath?

I am thinking of coating the whole thing with two layers of mapei liquid membrane in order to keep the tiles at the same height now, fitting a sheet would involve another layer of adhesive, do you think this would be adequate?
I

IMG_20171102_140236[1].jpg

Reply to Hi Y'all, newbie in need of some help!! in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks