Discuss Hi fellow tilers, quick query in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
hi everyone,

I'm about 6months in to my new tiling career and things seem to be going well. Look forward to getting involved with some
Of the discussions.

One quick query (and the main reason I joined), I'm currently pulling up some tiles that were laid in an upstairs ensuite over chipboard with 6mm ply overboard + anti fracture membrane due to the property being a new build.

First question - was the laying method correct? (I laid the tiles myself a couple of years back - none have cracked. Tiles are 600x300 thin slate effect probably only 6mm thick so I thought they probably would crack easily but apparently not!). Since starting my career ive started using delta boards instead of ply board over chipboard... comments ?

Secondly, has anyone got any tips on how to get the antifracture membrane up to start again?! Tiles came up easy enough but the anti fracture sandwiched between 2 layers of addy is very stubborn!!! Iv resorted to ripping it up attached to the plywood because it was taking so long, but because I screwed to plywood down to the chipboard so much even this method is a nightmare!

All the best, thanks for any help

Frazer

I

Italy

welcome to tf
I can not answer you, I know only solid walls.
I never put tile on the wood. ;)

M

Matt Bott

Welcome I don't think there's a manufacturer that would guarantee tiling on 6mm ply I believe the minimum would be 15mm

Reaction score
Welcome I don't think there's a manufacturer that would guarantee tiling on 6mm ply I believe the minimum would be 15mm
Would you take up the chipboard then? Because otherwise 15mm ply + 10mm tile and say 5mm adhesive when squashed into place is a huge jump to try and transition....

B

Blunt Tool

Would you take up the chipboard then? Because otherwise 15mm ply + 10mm tile and say 5mm adhesive when squashed into place is a huge jump to try and transition....
Strip right back to chipboard ( I know not easy) chipboard bonded, delta board glued and mechanical fixed then tiles down

L

LM

Assuming it's sound and no deflection screw the chipboard to the joists and use Ditra with Ardex AF200, 3mm build up!

Reaction score
Great thanks for the input everyone. What's your approach on the priming front with respect to the chipboard/backerboard route? Iv always had the rule of thumb if it's plywood leave it anything else prime it, don't know how accurate that is!

D

Dumbo

My rule of thumb is prime everything . Some products say don't prime but I have phoned the adhesive manufacturer's and asked if I can prime it and they have said you can. I am yet to find a product where it is actually detrimental to prime it .

Reply to Hi fellow tilers, quick query in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks