Discuss Hi all, after advice re: wetroom with a difference... in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

I

Ianb2017

Hi all,

Currently involved in a project renovating a holiday property where one of the rooms is to have a freestanding bath. I have been told that there is a requirement to have a small floor drain put in underneath the bath in the event of 'accidents'... bath overflowing or spilling out or whatever other reason... as it currently stands I laid a 22mm wbp ply floor over the original joists (With a few extra noggins), it's all screwed down tight, no deflection and level, coming back now I see holes in various locations for the standard bath waste and a larger hole in more or less the centre where a floor drain has been installed.

I'm not really sure how to proceed - or rather how to get someone else to proceed if required.

As it stands I'm doing the carpentry work - amongst a few other bits - the tiler is just laying tiles on a price per metre, so I don't believe he will be involved in much of the prep.

Cheers

Ian

OP
I

Ianb2017

Andy, I understand that, but regarding the specs above, the reasons are because it's being used as a holiday function, so not by the owners.. I'd imagine when you go on holiday you act as if you're in a nice place and behave yourself, as do I, however judging by the stories I've heard, it appears that a good portion of society lose the ability to engage their brains when in a property not owned by themselves... in fact, judging by a few of the stories, certain types would be best housed in a draughty barn with a straw bed and an open drain floor, only to await a morning bucket of slop in their trough and a cold hose down...

To edit, this is not actually in the bathroom, it's in the bedroom, it will be a carpeted bedroom with a low level tiled platform...on which the bath stands..

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Be alot easier just to do a wetroom, as you would have to do that anyway then put a bath on top of it....... But its if the bath would sit properly on the falls to the drain...
I'm sure some of the others on the forum maybe able to help some more...... But it's not anything I've seen..

OP
I

Ianb2017

So basically, prime the ply, layer up some adhesive to form a gentle slope to floor drain, add membrane of top of that then let the tiler go wild?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Or fit a wetroom former with a drain build the floor up round it add membrane to water proof.... Let tiler go wild.... Plonk a bath on top... :)

OP
F

Flintstone

So basically, prime the ply, layer up some adhesive to form a gentle slope to floor drain, add membrane of top of that then let the tiler go wild?

Deffinately not like that. As Andy said, I haven’t ever seen this done but I can see why they are wanting it for the extra assurance. Your best bet imo would be to cut up the ply wood in the area where the tray is to go back to joist level, make a flat platform at joist level where you can fit a small square wet room former, then over the rest of the floor, fit insulation boards to the correct depth to meet the former (over the ply) and tape all the joints to make a waterproof floor, like a wet room essentially. The Tiler will need to then tile the floor with envelope cuts in the tray area. Your going to have to encorperate the regular bath waste somewhere near by

OP
O

One Day

It needs a proper pre-formed tray and drain assembly. Forget making falls yourself. Even those of us who have the experience wouldn't waste time when a tray is so much faster to install.
Suggest you look at the PCS range of Delta trays. Good value for money.

OP
I

Ianb2017

It needs a proper pre-formed tray and drain assembly. Forget making falls yourself. Even those of us who have the experience wouldn't waste time when a tray is so much faster to install.
Suggest you look at the PCS range of Delta trays. Good value for money.
Not entirely sure how I'm supposed to put a tray into an area the size of a bay window in a victorian property.. :/ especially as the design is literally just for the bath to be on a tiled platform across the whole bay.... :triumph:

OP
I

Ianb2017

Right, sorry, I misunderstood what you guys were getting at, now I've re read I do get you. basically you're suggesting instead of a hole with a floor waste, I apply an actual proper formed small tray - I guess essentially providing a "pre formed floor waste" with a big square surround - then borderline do whatever with the rest of the floor to bring it level...

Rather than perhaps removing the existing ply board (considering they're after a small raised platform for the bath), would I not possibly be better off creating a new surface on top of the existing ply... so sit pre formed tray on top of existing floor drain, link that all up, lay the rest of the floor (someone said insulation boards - confused) around to create a flush layer - or slightly sloped layer...then membrane over that lot.. I know the regular bath waste would be a weak point, but I was hoping for their sake that a bucket load of mastic surrounding the waste pipe, as well as a load on floor rosette might solve the potential for problems - especially seeing as in theory, it shouldn't be subjected to oodles of water...

Reply to Hi all, after advice re: wetroom with a difference... in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer