Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Help Trainee Tiler in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

M

Mark1987

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys, basically
I'm enquiring to see if anyone of you's would be interested in an opportunity to make me a part of your team as a junior tiler. I have 6 years experience working as a tilers mate with my father and grandfather who has now retired. My main duties were, grouting up and the cutting of various types of tiles. A lot of the work was very bespoke, giving me the opportunity to become very familiar with different types of tiles, grout, sealants and stains.
A bit about me:
I am 28 years old, from Chorlton and I am currently working for a prestige construction company assisting the site agent. My duties include; stock control, liaisons with contractors, the opening and securing of the properties/site and also making sure the plots are ready for different stages of inspection. Whilst I enjoy my current employment my love lies with tile as the trade has been passed down through 3 generations of my family and I would like to continue this tradition. I have 9 GCSE's a-c, cscs card, full driving licence held for 9 years and vehicle and my own tiling tools.
Thank you for taking the time to read this all advice and comments will be much appreciated
Mark Greaves

OP
R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

mark after 6 years of tile you have your own van and tools you must see tile on site every day .can you tile to that standard or higher .if not then may be its not for you .its time after 6 years you should be looking for a tilers job .

OP
M

Mark1987

Hi ray, iv not been laying tiles for 6 years, I was all ways labourering on my father doing the cuts, grouting, ect I have tools that iv recently bought to get into tile and a car but will change when I need a van, the tile I see at work is all standard stuff by subcontractors some shocking actually but that lads are on ÂŁ** a meter so not much care is taken, I know I will pick it up quickly just feel I need actual experience laying tiles.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

you have answered your own question go to work for them subcontractors if you all ready now you can do better .your work will always get noticed if its good you will be moved on to more high profile jobs more money. but site bashing one after anther soon sharpens the speed and skill level some will move on and for others thats all they want. you could speak to the tilers and offer to grout there rooms for them .and if you are any good they may just take you on some of there pj .but dont stand there waiting to be told what to do just start fixing with them good luck

OP
B

bcd-87

Hi ray, iv not been laying tiles for 6 years, I was all ways labourering on my father doing the cuts, grouting, ect I have tools that iv recently bought to get into tile and a car but will change when I need a van, the tile I see at work is all standard stuff by subcontractors some shocking actually but that lads are on ÂŁ** a meter so not much care is taken, I know I will pick it up quickly just feel I need actual experience laying tiles.

Hi Mark

Take the jump mate, you will be fine.
You sound like you know the score, i trained for 5 years and set off on my own that's was back in 2008

OP
I

Italy

I take care of work also at ** €, which are much less than ** £ ........
If tiles are standard, not good **ÂŁ ?
(I think I'm out of this world, live on another planet)
uk ** ÂŁ pose normal standard up to 400x400 is not enough?
I think to start going just fine, of course I'm not practical uk ;)

OP
I

Italy

I take care of work also at ** €, which are much less than ** £ ........
If tiles are standard, not good **ÂŁ ?
(I think I'm out of this world, live on another planet)
uk ** ÂŁ pose normal standard up to 400x400 is not enough?
I think to start going just fine, of course I'm not practical uk ;)
I was wrong, here you can not talk about prices. I'm sorry

OP
O

Old Mod

Hi Mark,
Unfortunately we do not allow specific pricing figures in open forums.
I appreciate u were unaware of that, so no problem.

OP
O

Old Mod

marc you are a witch :(

Yeah I know! Haha

s12372.gif

OP
J

Just Rizzle

my son works for me and after 7 years hes doing his own jobs hes just done a 3 bathroom job in York the client is over the moon with his work.
ive taught him what the job takes and what is expected.

give your father a punch hes used you. if you've been tile 6 yrs and you do nothing but grouting then hes basically used u as a lackie.

OP
I

Italy

my son works for me and after 7 years hes doing his own jobs hes just done a 3 bathroom job in York the client is over the moon with his work.
ive taught him what the job takes and what is expected.

give your father a punch hes used you. if you've been tile 6 yrs and you do nothing but grouting then hes basically used u as a lackie.
@RayTheTiler ,you should be very pleased with your son!!
but I think your son has managed to steal job to his father.
good father and son.
I have had experience with my father ........... but father and son relationship, many times are not pleasant at work, my father was working 3/4 tilers, then it keep going with them, I stole from their things better, because if you can not steal the job, never learn.
I hope you understand

aussie tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Marc,
l also learned from my father grouting at age 6 its not easy working with your dad. By the sounds of it you know more than you give yourself credit for, if you can do all the cutting and grouting to a high standard then your almost there. Setting out does take time and with experience you will get there. Speak to your boss and ask him to let you do a bathroom l think you will excel just take your time. Once you get your first one out of the way you will be off. lm based in Manchester if you wanted to come and get some experience with me on an adhoc basis, but you would have to work that out with your current role good luck :) Dave T

Reply to Help Trainee Tiler in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock