Discuss Help! Tiled whole bathroom with Tubbed adhesive only to find out it’s not showerproof in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You obviously have trouble reading my northern writing , i take it you are female, as you like to bloody argue like a women

Reaction score
Ohhh I didn’t mean to start a tanking war
I think Tanking is definitely worth doing.. probably every effort you can make to waterproof things can only be a plus point. However I really do appreciate the advice given that for many years it wasn’t done and bathrooms have been fine, as it has definitely put my mind at rest!

.. I even had my grandpa say he put his tiles on with poly filler which did make me laugh but they’re still on!

To be honest my original concern wasn’t even the Tanking it was the adhesive.

The walls behind the tiles are brick which is plaster boarded and skimmed over .. don’t know if that makes a difference but I saw it mentioned!

I’m off to a proper tile shop tonight to get the right materials so at least the rest is done properly

Thanks very much for everybody’s friendly and helpful comments and advice!
Never thought I’d find myself on a tiling forum and was wary that I might face a backlash of jobsworths telling me how wrong I’d done it but I’ve been really impressed with all your help.

... hopefully I won’t be back on here in a few months telling you all my bathroom has caved in

W

Waluigi

You obviously have trouble reading my northern writing , i take it you are female, as you like to bloody argue like a women

Sexist and arrogant. What a catch.

Let me explain my view point one last time. If you don’t tank your showers then I believe you do a poor job- wet rooms, domestic, commercial, everything.

Pushing my view point on people, I hope so. In fact, Australia, New Zealand and I believe Sweden, it must be done. It’s a regulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dumbo

Ohhh I didn’t mean to start a tanking war
I think Tanking is definitely worth doing.. probably every effort you can make to waterproof things can only be a plus point. However I really do appreciate the advice given that for many years it wasn’t done and bathrooms have been fine, as it has definitely put my mind at rest!

.. I even had my grandpa say he put his tiles on with poly filler which did make me laugh but they’re still on!

To be honest my original concern wasn’t even the Tanking it was the adhesive.

The walls behind the tiles are brick which is plaster boarded and skimmed over .. don’t know if that makes a difference but I saw it mentioned!

I’m off to a proper tile shop tonight to get the right materials so at least the rest is done properly

Thanks very much for everybody’s friendly and helpful comments and advice!
Never thought I’d find myself on a tiling forum and was wary that I might face a backlash of jobsworths telling me how wrong I’d done it but I’ve been really impressed with all your help.

... hopefully I won’t be back on here in a few months telling you all my bathroom has caved in
I'm sure it will be fine .

F

Flintstone

I never understand the viewpoint of needed to tank a wet room but not a shower. The only difference is the floor has a former and not a tray, there's still tiled walls in a shower. Most of the issues with shower leaks come from the joint to the tray leaking and soaking up the wall. If the wall is water proof then it can't happen.

Reaction score
I never understand the viewpoint of needed to tank a wet room but not a shower. The only difference is the floor has a former and not a tray, there's still tiled walls in a shower. Most of the issues with shower leaks come from the joint to the tray leaking and soaking up the wall. If the wall is water proof then it can't happen.

Not sure if it makes much difference but my shower (in question) is over a bath not a wet room or a shower tray

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sexist and arrogant. What a catch.

Let me explain my view point one last time. If you don’t tank your showers then I believe you do a poor job- wet rooms, domestic, commercial, everything.

Pushing my view point on people, I hope so. In fact, Australia, New Zealand and I believe Sweden, it must be done. It’s a regulation.

Wow,what a arse, you need a sense of humour sweet cheeks:anguished:, and the only arrogant person on here is you my love, and I have two daughters and a granddaughter, and get walked all over by them, so I’m about as sexist as you are a really sound man (so not sexist at all, as you seem a bit of a penis, and probably work on your own all the time as no one will work with you)
And Just one more time for the little ladies on here who can’t read my writing or are just far to stuck up their own arses to be bothered to read it.
I have absolutely no problem with tanking, a good thing, yes,it makes people more money,does it need doing, not really in domestic showers which has been proven for decades(that’s a fact ) I’ve seen loads of tanked bathrooms fail, some on here, why is that ? ***** workmanship, as a non tanked bathroom will fail if it’s ***** workmanship .
How many tilers in this country don’t tank a shower and have never had a problem, I will bet anyone on here it’s a lot more than who do tank .
Ps luckily for me, I don’t give a flying monkey if you think I’m doing it wrong, I have absolutely no problems with my methods and have absolutely no complaints in over 3 decades , well apart from off the mrs
Bye

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That goes without saying andy , I mean you never understand people’s veiwpoints:kissingheart::yum:

W

Waluigi

Sounds like the Lady doth protest too much.

The name calling didn’t take long though. It shows a lack of any substance in your argument.

Been nice chatting x

W

Waluigi

There’s no logic behind it at all. Shower trays average out at 40mm in height these days.

Also those who don’t tank domestic showers should also not tank any higher up the wall than the tape fold at the floor to wall joint on a wet room- if they do tank higher it’s another contradiction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
This is becoming way off ...
IMG_20171120_171940.png

Someone should start another thread on tanking, maybe even a pole...!
The results could even be more interesting than brexit..!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sounds like the Lady doth protest too much.

The name calling didn’t take long though. It shows a lack of any substance in your argument.

Been nice chatting x
Its true wgat they say about you on here, a know it all who thinks he is always right :)
I think I’m the only female on this thread and the only one not arguing!

ACTUAL ON TOPIC QUESTION:

Bal or Webber grout???
Nope, you’re the 2nd women, waligi is the 1st.
Only used webber grout, so id go tilemaster grout:)

Reply to Help! Tiled whole bathroom with Tubbed adhesive only to find out it’s not showerproof in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks