Discuss Help! Tiled whole bathroom with Tubbed adhesive only to find out it’s not showerproof in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I never have seen tanking or ditra in any shop in burnley or the surrounding areas before ten years ago, my mate who has been In the tile industry for a few decades and opened his own shop about 7 years ago , never heard of matting or tanking before he opened his shop.
You must be one of a few who has been tanking domestic showers the past 15 years , cos nigh on every tiler I talk too are the same as me
I’ve been tanking for 15 years plus

I’m not saying before that time it was wrong, just that it isn’t as good as the way we now do

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Tanking? What’s tanking?

W

Waluigi

I never have seen tanking or ditra in any shop in burnley or the surrounding areas before ten years ago, my mate who has been In the tile industry for a few decades and opened his own shop about 7 years ago , never heard of matting or tanking before he opened his shop.
You must be one of a few who has been tanking domestic showers the past 15 years , cos nigh on every tiler I talk too are the same as me

Been doing it myself ever since I went self employed in 2002. Every single shower. Started off using Kerdi and WP1 and Homelux then Mapei and now Tilemaster. I’d say it’s been common for more than a ‘few’ years. I admit that I must’ve been an early adopter.

Kerdi has been around since the late 80’s.

Before tanking, we always used to fit Knauf Aquapanel. This was early 90’s.

Just saying how it was done round my way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacko

TF
Reaction score
9/10 of my customer ask if they can get away without tanking. Not too worried if the bathroom is downstairs, but, I highly recommend it upstairs.

I always use Powder based adhesives.
Only time I use tub adhesive is on Kitchen Splashbacks.

Back to the OP, you should be alright. I suggest not using the shower/ bath until you have completed the job (Grout and bead).

Reaction score
25 years ago a friend of mine (who was unemployed and needed the money) tiled my bathroom with Villeroy and Boch tiles, all four walls, floor to ceiling. He tiled directly on to painted plasterboard. From memory he used a tubbed(?) Bal "waterproof adhesive" and waterproof grout. I remember having a row about the adhesive because he had a mate who was supposedly a professional tiler and he'd told him you didn't need waterproof adhesive as long as you used waterproof grout. I bought the waterproof adhesive anyway.
I suspect he used the 5-spot method of applying the adhesive too.
Since about 3 years ago we fitted a shower and that's become its main use. Last month I ground out all the grout and trims, re-grouted and replaced trims. Point is, the tiles are still on and nowadays it would be considered a bodge job. It was probably a bodge job back then too, for all I know :).
I think what I'm trying to say, completely unqualified, is that it'll probably be ok and if it were me, I wouldn't be ripping tiles off and re-doing it.

Reaction score
25 years ago a friend of mine ....

Yeah I get what you mean thanks!
They have coated the whole back of the tile not used dots so there’s that!
I know it’s not ideal but from what everyone has said I think I’m willing to take the risk as I think it is quite low
Still one row of tiles to go above the bath so will tank before that row .. for what it’s worth

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sounds like you have used ceramic tiles, it will be fine as long as it’s solid, people in the tiling world are still ripping out bathrooms to this day from the 80s done the same way as you with no problems.
Don’t believe everything you read on the net
How very true , ok we do the belt and braces thing as a matter of course , but can't help thinking it's overkill sometimes.
I've been tiling since the mid eighties and only been tanking since the noughies and never knowingly had a failure!

S

Spare Tool

How very true , ok we do the belt and braces thing as a matter of course , but can't help thinking it's overkill sometimes.
I've been tiling since the mid eighties and only been tanking since the noughies and never knowingly had a failure!
Makes me wonder how many out of a hundred showers would fail (obviously not wetrooms) if tiled professionally without tanking, waterproof boards etc...

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Makes me wonder how many out of a hundred showers would fail (obviously not wetrooms) if tiled professionally without tanking, waterproof boards etc...
I will guarantee probably all of them would not fail .
As long as tiled properly, not dot and dabbed, probably none would fail in a domestic shower.
Let’s be honest, tanking in a domestic shower (not wetroom) is to protect the substrate, not to stop leaks ,silicons is to stop the leaks.
I’m not a fan of rapping the tanking tape over the shower base, which a few do,as tanking paste is much much easier to remove from a shower base than silicone.
I’m going to rip my en-suite out in the new year, it’s been in over a decade, no tanking, no leaks , with 3 girls using it , my youngest is in it for about half hour every night , wife in in morning and night , eldest in it morning and night(when she lived here) work out how many times that’s been used in all them years, that’s some luck I’ve had ?
Been doing it myself ever since I went self employed in 2002. Every single shower. Started off using Kerdi and WP1 and Homelux then Mapei and now Tilemaster. I’d say it’s been common for more than a ‘few’ years. I admit that I must’ve been an early adopter.

Kerdi has been around since the late 80’s.

Before tanking, we always used to fit Knauf Aquapanel. This was early 90’s.

Just saying how it was done round my way.
Another one which I’ve never heard of until recent years , the waterproof boards, don’t think I’ve ever used them , in wetrooms or showers,and I actually don’t see the point.
Sorry I do see the point, it makes the manufacturers a hell of a lot of money

W

Waluigi

All this anti tanking yet people who say it’s not worth it still have done it. Why?

If tanking is unnessary then they should never have tanked a shower in their whole career.

I’m not going to buy the argument that they were asked to tank. That’s a very rare occurance.

Widler- I just checked, you have said that you use the Tilemaster kit, I’m sorry but I don’t Understand why? It’s contradictory.

Oh yeah, when I was about 14/15, me and my Dad prepped and tiled a shower at home. We used OSB as it was the cheapest board possible, that was 20 years ago. Still fine. Let’s all use OSB in future.

W

WetSaw

I think the no tanking posts are in relation to the op and for them not to worry too much about the possibility of leaks. In the olden days when houses were made of things called "bricks" , even the internal walls, if a drop of water got onto the substrate it wasn't too much of a problem. Today's paper mache ( or papier mâché..) houses are rather more susceptible to water causing problems and in a short space of time.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
All this anti tanking yet people who say it’s not worth it still have done it. Why?

If tanking is unnessary then they should never have tanked a shower in their whole career.

I’m not going to buy the argument that they were asked to tank. That’s a very rare occurance.

Widler- I just checked, you have said that you use the Tilemaster kit, I’m sorry but I don’t Understand why? It’s contradictory.

Oh yeah, when I was about 14/15, me and my Dad prepped and tiled a shower at home. We used OSB as it was the cheapest board possible, that was 20 years ago. Still fine. Let’s all use OSB in future.
No idea where you get im anti tanking ?
Ive tanked every wetroom ive ever tiled ?
I just look at everything with a bit of common sense, for decades and decades showers and even swimming pools have never been tanked?
And not failed , thats due to correct tiling procedure.
Im a great believer of not ramming things down people throats about whats wrong because you have been on a tiling coarse somewhere when tilers have been doing it a different way , with bo problems for years.
Do i belive tanking is nessasery in a domestic shower , no, its not, its been proven for hundreds of years, will it bother me if it becomes law,nope.
Anyway back to the OP, enjoy your new bathroom, and don’t worry about it, if its done right, yiu will have no problems.

W

Waluigi

Ahh my mistake. Just weteooms then.

You don’t need tank domestic showers with a tray or Bath?

Reply to Help! Tiled whole bathroom with Tubbed adhesive only to find out it’s not showerproof in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks