Discuss Help please..tile voids in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

Kent22

Is it common practice to dot n dab floor tiles and once set pore in self levelling compound or some sort of adhesive through the joint lines after to fill the voids?

I only noticed this when I stood on a tile last night and it broke. They are a porcelain tile.

Today was ment to be completion day and grouting but as a tile broke last night the tiler is saying he will fill the voids...

Am I going to have issues in the future and what should I do.

Thanks

C28CC9B4-6527-4EAD-8753-30727275FDD8.jpeg DEC8763C-A248-439D-8B49-BFCBAA816D35.jpeg

T

Tile Shop

No they should be solid bed fixed from the start, not do half the job and fill the gaps. Sorry but I think you need to get a tiler who knows how to tile.

T

Tile Shop

Unfortunatley, yes. There is so little contact with the adhesive that even the slightest of knocks will dislodge or crack them, as you've kinda proved already with your first picture. Sticking leveling compound in as an after thought is not guaranteed to fill up to the back of the tile without air pockets. Its a ludicrous idea and if that is what they have suggested they are going to do, shoot them! Plus, I'd love to know how they intend to do it.

Insist on nothing less than ripping them up and starting again properly.

K

Kent22

The cutting and levelling of tiles is surely the hardest part, I don’t understand why he has not spread the adhesive.

Thanks for the advice, stress right before Xmas :(

P

Perry

Sorry he's not a tiler. A chancer more like it. It will be problems as you have already found out before its finished.

Chris N

TF
Reaction score
The floor should have been levelled at the start. Spotting tiles makes it easy to get over an undulating surface or one that's not at the correct height or a combination of the two. It may be stressful now to take it up, buy the likelihood is that more tiles will crack.

K

Kent22

The question is how do I find a tiler that will do the job 100% right.

What certificates or qualifications do I need to ask for?

Thanks

K

Kent22

I’m in snodland Kent, always the way finding these forums once there’s problems

Cheers

K

Kent22

Sorry Paul to keep banging on,

That link shows some of these tilers being all rounders plastering,plumbing etc.

I’m after a professional that tiles every day, as I’m covering my kitchen,hallway and living room with these tiles.35sq metres.

Back to the question of how do I know there qualified? What certicates or qualifications do I need to see or ask for...

Thanks

Reply to Help please..tile voids in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks