Discuss Help needed... Tiler error needs fixing in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Megan

Last week I got my kitchen tiled with metro tiles.

He had a day and a half to do the job as my kitchen designer booked him in. The first day he laid the tiles on the hob wall. The next day he laid the tiles by the sink and grouted the lot.

Little did I know, but he used a ready mixed adhesive that needed longer to dry. The tiles by my sink now all have yellow grout instead of white as the adhesive has bled through.

He’s coming back tomorrow to fix it and I have a few questions:

1. Does he need to removed all the grout on that wall or can he just do the problematic grout and regrout.
2. The joiner sealed the tiles on Monday where they meet the cabinet. Sadly the bottom row of tiles has been affected. Does he need to remove the sealant or can he grout on top?
3. If he removed the sealant, how long does the grout need to dry before resealing?

He seems to be a bit of a cowboy so I don’t want him to tell me what’s best as I think he’ll just want to take the easiest way out...

Thank you.

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
Any pictures ? I dont know of a yellow adhesive ? I would usually grout the day after install but that would cost you more for time. Was he expensive :)

M

Megan

I’m not sure how much you can see it in the photos but hopefully you can see something.

I’ve decided to take the sealant off myself so it gets done neatly and then it’s ready to re-seal once the new grout has dried tomorrow.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Never had ready mix adhesive cause a problem , even when cheating and grouting same day , totally against the rules but never had that sort of problem in 30 years.
You can only bend the rules of you know what you're doing
He's an idiot for not doing all the tiling on the first day if he was coming back anyway

M

Megan

Never had ready mix adhesive cause a problem , even when cheating and grouting same day , totally against the rules but never had that sort of problem in 30 years.
You can only bend the rules of you know what you're doing
He's an idiot for not doing all the tiling on the first day if he was coming back anyway
What do you think the problem could be in that case? Do you think regrouting the affected tiles will sort it?

D

Dumbo

ready mix adhesive can as it dries discolour grout ive seen it on a job i did years ago where the window sill had a slightly thicker bed of adhesive . It went yellow there but nowhere else . I would definitely say caused by adhesive drying .

O

On one

.....the tile at the bottom rhs of the socket has been snapped........and full tile on the front of the window sill could have been possible.

Reply to Help needed... Tiler error needs fixing in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks