Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Help needed from the professionals! - Limestone Floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

O

OLF

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,
Limestone tile floor installed at the beginning of December 17. The floor wasn't sealed as there was a lot of moisture coming through from the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Not that it has almost dried my grey white tiles have taken on a very 'orangey' appearance (pictures attached 1&2 orangey tiles and 3 what they should look like). The supplier says 'that is natural stone for you' but hoping someone on here can have something more helpful to add? As it is they are going to have to be ripped up but then I am nervous to lay another natural stone tile in case the same thing happens again. Thanks in advance.

tile 1.jpg Tile 2.jpg Tile 3.jpg

OP
D

Dumbo

Do you have iron in your water . The tile on the table what has that been exposed to as far as i can tell its not been laid .
What particular limestone is it . This may help some diagnose

OP
O

OLF

Do you have iron in your water . The tile on the table what has that been exposed to as far as i can tell its not been laid .
What particular limestone is it . This may help some diagnose
Thanks for the response, the tile on the table has been in the same room as the other tiles but not laid. It was put out to compare the colour for a week or so onto of a fixed tile. The tile in picture 3 (the lighter coloured tile) has also been in the same room but standing up. This is the tile - Florence Sandblasted & Brushed Limestone Tiles | MyStoneFloor - https://www.mystonefloor.com/product/florence-sandblasted-brushed-limestone/

OP
B

Bill

Thanks for the response, the tile on the table has been in the same room as the other tiles but not laid. It was put out to compare the colour for a week or so onto of a fixed tile. The tile in picture 3 (the lighter coloured tile) has also been in the same room but standing up. This is the tile - Florence Sandblasted & Brushed Limestone Tiles | MyStoneFloor - https://www.mystonefloor.com/product/florence-sandblasted-brushed-limestone/
To be fair... the limestone in the link provided looks more like the slab in photo #1

Reaction score
You likely have some iron in the limestone which has oxidised, (rusted) when the moisture level increased and the air could get to it.
The damper this is, the darker it will appear.
I can't see any way to fix it. I'd have thought its irreversibly stained.

OP
O

OLF

You likely have some iron in the limestone which has oxidised, (rusted) when the moisture level increased and the air could get to it.
The damper this is, the darker it will appear.
I can't see any way to fix it. I'd have thought its irreversibly stained.
Thank you Tile Seller

OP
S

Steve Carpenter

It does look like oxidation from the iron mineral content. You could try Tile Doctors Rust Away, which is a non-acid rust remover safe for use on natural stone.

OP
O

OLF

It does look like oxidation from the iron mineral content. You could try Tile Doctors Rust Away, which is a non-acid rust remover safe for use on natural stone.
Great Advice, thank you. Certainly worth a go seeing as 82 Metres squared would need to be ripped up! I've just ordered some.

OP
B

Bill

Why does the limestone need to be ripped up if the chemical cleaner doesn't work?

Why wasn't the limestone sealed before it was fixed? If the stone was dry before it was fixed then you could have sealed them (front, back and sides) to help avoid this happening even though with natural stone you have to expect some discolouration.

Reply to Help needed from the professionals! - Limestone Floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock