Discuss help - my drill is slipping !! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mick7

Trying to drill a 6mm hole into Porc. wall tiles. Awkward position. 365 drill bit but yellow template and drill bit slipping. Cant even get start on the tile. Driving me mad !!!!!

D

DHTiling

are you using water mick as you drill..?....and how many holes have you drilled already with that bit.....?

L

Lee Carr@RUBI

if you use a minigres drill kit from rubi this comes with a guide and stops the drill slipping

M

mick7

Hi Dave

I've done 4 - miracle. Only 9mm tiles . The problem is the Bosch hand battery drill is heavy to support, you must have to have big hands for that yellow template. I am holding a sponge under the drill but also trying to support it and apply some pressure or it takes all day. Definitely not a fan of these yet ! Help!!!!

D

DHTiling

A little tip from me mick......Use a strong gaffer type tape to hold the template in situ....then you have one hand free to spray water on the bit to keep it cool whilst drilling.....4 holes can blunt one of those bits if drilling very hard porcelain tiles and not enough water......good luck...

B

bootsmckiber

How old is your drill?Maybe the inside of your chuck is stripped or worn down,Try wrapping some tin foil around your bit then retighten,drill slow not fast,if this works temporarily I think your going to be needing a new drill,good luck,
Mike

M

mick7

That sounds good I'll try it. Totally exhaused putting up fiitings, I thought 365 would be a piece of cake. I was soooo wrong .....

G

grumpygrouter

I have drilled loads of times into porcelain with these drills. Why don't you try "starting off" with a dry drill just to get your initial groove going. once you have that you don't need the guide. Also you only need to keep the drill cool, not continuously in water. I just stop drilling every 15 sec or so and dip it in water, I have not had any problems doing so.

Grumpy

M

mick7

Thanks for reply.

When you say start off with a dry drill, do you mean one with just a normal tile bit? On ceramics I normally just use a bit of masking tape and masonary drills just fly though them. I am using the drill at a moderate speed, not too slow as it would take all day, also use a fair bit of pressure. My hand drill is new so thats not the problem.
It has done the job,very hard work, I'm just not looking fwd to doing any more. 4 holes per bit?

F

faithhealer

Don't use pressure Mick let the drill do the work not you. Love my set so don't give up on them yet. I position the jig, chuck water at it , then hold the jig and drill. As above, once you have the groove lose the jig.

M

mick7

The only problem is if I dont apply a bit of pressure, nothing much happens or it takes forever. I am using the 6mm bits at the moment as I only need small holes, i even bent one !! They just dont seem strong enough. I wonder if I would be better using the 8mm ??

F

faithhealer

Keep trying mick. Another tip if you are using rawlplugs, make the plugs fit into the concrete/wall and make the hole in the tile a bit bigger so when the screw expands the plug there is no pressure on the tile therefore less chance of cracking the tile.

D

Deleted member 1779

Hi for best results follow the online picture sequence

br1a.jpg

Press (and hold) the plate onto the tile. The more you push the more it grips.

br3a.jpg

Dry drill for a few seconds (dry) to start the hole.

DO NOT PUSH TOO HARD OR APPLY PRESSURE

br4a.jpg

A little pit will form. You can now discard the plate and begin to use water.

br2a.jpg

Grab a wet sponge. Hold it under the drill and cool it as you drill.

8mm is better than 6mm

M

mick7

Hi
Many thanks for reply. Following our discussion at KBB, I've stopped using the 6mm ( PMd you re:these) and now using the 8mm which are certainly better.
Cheers.

Reply to help - my drill is slipping !! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks