Discuss Help, I think my tiler is doing a bad job. What should I do? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
It was his first day today. I found him on mybuilder. He wasn't the cheapest quote and I chose him because he says he's a professional tiler. It's a bathroom which we're fully tiling with white travertine tiles 30 x 45 x 12. The things I'm worried about / unhappy about are:

1. the first thing he did was put Mapei Primer G all over the tile backer board. I didn't think tile backer board needed primer.

2. he has used Dunlop Set Fast Plus Flexible Tile Adhesive which is grey and doesn't say it's for use with large format natural stone.

3. he has used a 2mm gap for the grout and I thought it was supposed to be at least 3mm for large format natural stone.

4. I can see voids in the adhesive behind the tiles.

5. He has laid out the tiles so that there are narrow strips down one side of the wall (whole / half tile at the other end) and hasn't continued the layout around the corners.

6. His cuts are all rough, uneven and messy. He said something about not having filled the tank for his saw half way through the day. Not sure if that's connected.

7. He has broken loads of tiles. The whole job on area would use 95 tiles. I ordered 10% extra - 105. He has asked for us to buy another 14. Counting up it seems to me he only needs 6.

8. He cut one tile around the shower tray wrong and has fixed it by putting a slither of tile in there!

What should I do? He is coming back tomorrow. I think he's doing a bad job. Am I right? How can these things be fixed? Should I even let him carry on?

I'll try to post some photos.

Reaction score
IMG_2949.JPG
IMG_2951.JPG
IMG_2954.JPG
IMG_2956.JPG
IMG_2958.JPG
IMG_2959.JPG

B

Blunt Tool

Hi, if you mean he primed the cement backer boards then that’s ok but he should have taped and tanked the boards in the shower area. Natural stone is fragile and when transported can have hairline cracks that split as soon as you touch them, I usually keep them in the hope they can be used for a cut somewhere. That would explain a few of the broken tiles but rest looks as tho he was pushing them too hard and too quick thru machine and they have broke IMO. The sliver is not professional and tile should be replaced. 2mm joint is a preference I prefer 3mm.

B

Blunt Tool

When I set out stone tile half bond I try to fold them round the internal corners ie whatever you take off cut use the other piece on next wall so that same tile, shade and vien turn the corner.

B

Blunt Tool

Lastly if the whole bathroom is to be tiled it looks like the walls outside of shower area have been just recently plastered? Is this correct?
Or is this walls outside bathroom?

Reaction score
Thanks callatiler that is confirming some of my fears. The facepalm is doing the same! The recent plastering is outside the bathroom. Area to be tiled is all tile backer board apart from a bit of cement render.

What do I do though? Should I get him to start again? I think I could do a better job myself. There's also £400 of tiles half stuck to the walls now. Do I ask him to take them off or pay to get someone else to do it. I've never been in this situation before. He's got 100% positive reviews! I wish I'd gone with the kitchen fitter now.

B

Blunt Tool

IMO when he comes back tomorrow show and tell him what you are not happy about. The choice you have is tell him to take his gear and go then get a professional ( have a look at the directory on here see who is around you) or go into your local tile shops and ask them who is recommended. Or if you are not happy and want compensated by tiler then you have to give him a chance to replace and rectify but could end up costing you more to rectify as work progresses

O

Old Mod

Ps don’t go with kitchen fitter either ie don’t go into a hairdressers and ask for a pound of sausages
Funny but true!

Ian above is quite correct, do not go with the kitchen fitter.
He may be used to doing 3 high round a kitchen worktop, but a bathroom is a whole new world.
Travertine is notoriously soft and can break just by picking it up at the end and not in the middle, it’s fragile.
That cut at shower tray is laziness beyond belief.

If you want a new local fitter, in your area there is a list of fitters in Berkshire area on the find a tiler page.

Directory of Tilers in Berkshire - Rated Tilers in Berkshire | tilersforums.com | Professional wall and floor tilers forum - https://www.tilersforums.com/directory/tilers-in-berkshire.229

Two I know of that can be trusted in that area are
Ascot Tiling, but they’re a big outfit, so maybe they might not be what you’re looking for.
There’s a guy called Ben Duckett in Reading, not on list but he’s a member.

Tiling in Reading - B. Duckett Ceramics - http://www.bduckettceramics.uk/

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Ran through the issues:

He said the cuts are uneven because its travertine. Once he has covered the edges in silicone and decorator's caulk it will be fine. Is that normal?

He also has his other saw today. He said if we're unhappy once he's finished he'll redo them.

He has knocked £50 off for the bad layout.

Changed adhesive. He had brought some white tub adhesive called Ultim8 which I pointed out said it was for ceramic tiles up to 30 x 40. Cue lengthy disagreement and he eventually went and got something that looked more appropriate.

He said if the adhesive bleeds through he'll come back and fix it. Then a little while later said he's going back to Romania in a few months!

The whole house is thick with dust from the grinder he is using to cut the pipe holes.

Reaction score
Forgot to say: pipe holes are really jagged and uneven. Is it not possible to cut a smooth circle out?

He has asked for part payment of £400 today.

B

Blunt Tool

Tubbed ready mixed adhesive will never dry so big no no, he shouldn’t be dry grinding in house either outside or wet cut. Holes perfectly round with proper diamond core bits again wet not dry or outside you go. If you are not happy do not pay him think you won’t see him again

Reply to Help, I think my tiler is doing a bad job. What should I do? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks