Discuss Help how to make a circumference with tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Hugo

TF
Reaction score
Hello everyone and thanks for your help I am doing level 2 nvq and I would like to know if someone can help with this issue I need to perform the calculation to know the exact size of cut to make a circumference with 150mm tiles attached a photo with the data thanks for your help would also like to know if there is a book that is advisable
20181122_203722.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

@Hugo - all the sizes and information you require is on the sheet!
From your centre point draw your first circle Radius 300mm. Add the 150mm tile size and draw the 2nd bigger circle 450mm Radius.
Divide each of 4 segments into 4 giving 16 segments in total (each angle will be 22.5 degrees) they tell you how! I’d divide the 90 degree angle in half then divide the 45 degree again in half.
Remember you have almost 5 hours to do it and once you have one tile template the rest are easy.
Good luck.

OP
H

Hugo

TF
Reaction score
thanks Jhon for your answer I have a question the teacher told us that to make a circumference the minimum tiles to make the circumference are 21 tiles with a smaller number the circumference would not be correct my question is how to calculate to do that

T

Time's Ran Out

If each tile is as per the shaded area then I’d say the minimum no. of tiles is 16!
This would give a ring.
The only issue I see with my method of completion and the information/details they have supplied is it’s based on a tile of 150mm square. Because of the curvature of the circumference that ‘add the tile size’ bit onto the original 300mm radius then the tile size width will be 150mm+ the curvature. Not sure if there is enough information provided to do it exact and for me I’d overlay a 150mm tile on each section to get the final piece.
I understand the project in hand and the need to work it through, but it would seem a better practical test then geometry.
Off topic but have you learnt Pythagoras theory yet or calculating areas?

D

Dumbo

Mathematics is quite a large part of the job . So if you don't know Pythagoras or how to work out areas you should learn them . Somewhere like BBC bitesize is probably a good place to search for various formulas for calculations .

S

Spare Tool

I'm sitting here pondering this, 5 x 5 tiles equals 25 tiles, but'as you don't need to cut the centre four tiles that gets you to 21 as your tutor has stated. Find the centre of the 5 x 5 block and draw a circle with a radius of 300 that takes you to the outside of 4 x 150 tiles (600) diameter, you've only got 75 mm left to make the outside circle bigger by... And if that's not right I should come and join you back at college :)

S

Spare Tool

Bit of a crude sketch but think its something like that, I can't see another way of making it out of 21 tiles...
WP_20181127_20_51_58_Pro.jpg
highlighted tiles aren't needed which gives you your 21 tiles

S

Spud

had to edit my post as my maths was incorrect going to re work it

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

had to edit my post as my maths was incorrect going to re work it
300 x3.14 x2 is 1884mm divide by 16 give 117 mm 382 x3.14 x2 is 2400 maximum circumference a 150 wide tile can give is 2400 if you do 16 segments so the band wide can only be 82 mm wide so the tiles have to be cut down to 150 x 82 first then then 16.5 mm to zero taken off of each side

S

Spare Tool

300 x3.14 x2 is 1884mm divide by 16 give 117 mm 382 x3.14 x2 is 2400 maximum circumference a 150 wide tile can give is 2400 if you do 16 segments so the band wide can only be 82 mm wide so the tiles have to be cut down to 150 x 82 first then then 16.5 mm to zero taken off of each side
If you add a 2mm spacer into my (crude drawing) joints I make the outside band to be 83mm wide...think we'd both get a pass for that Gary ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
O

One Day

A prime example of why setting out, preparation and taking time before sticking anything - is absolutley vital to being a decent tiler.

Reply to Help how to make a circumference with tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer