Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Help ... 2 different tiles joint don’t line up (assumed both 30x60 but not) in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Kcoh

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

I bough two types of tiles, one of them being 300x600 rectified split face for a future wall, and the rest 300x600 marble.

Only after laying few raws of the split face and one of the marble on one wall, I found out a day after that the joints don’t line up at an internal corner - I know should have checked this but I laid the last marble raw at 2am and in rush ... big mistake. I checked the dimensions and it turns out the the marble tiles are less than 300mm. There is almost 5mm difference between them at the joint. What is the best course of action? If I realised this during set out I would have shifted the future wall tiles and that way I’d have bigger tile cuts at the window but too late now. Would adding a raw of mosaic on top and below of the marble tile help sorting this out? Thanks

T

Tile Shop

60x30 or 600x300 will be the nominal size, which is more of a guideline to the dimensions rather than an exact specification, as you can get variations in size between materials, batches or different manufacturers.

That said, do you have any images of what you have done so far? How long is the wall? Mosaics could detract from it if you had a deep enough row of them, but deliberately staggering the joints to half or 1/3 bond between the two materials, while not ideal, would still be better IMO than it looking like you tried to line the joints up and failed.

OP
K

Kcoh

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for coming back to me. I will try to add some photos when I get home. I can get mosaics of the same brand/style as the marble and same thickness. Nevertheless, I’m thinking of ripping off what I have done so far and start again. I think this is the best solution. I have used tile backer boards (similar to wedi), can I reuse these after I remove the tiles from it? Thanks

T

Tile Shop

I would replace them. They rarely survive when pulling tiles off unless the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ is still wet, as you may pull the cement face off, or at least loosen or damage it. Wouldn't risk going over them again.

OP
K

Kcoh

TF
Reaction score
This is the the type type of situations that makes you think, I really should have got a pro to do it. It took me a while to install the split face tiles around the window, broke many tiles to get the cuts correct and it pains to me to take them off now but oh well. Thanks and I appreciate your advice.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Some pictures would really help.

OP
K

Kcoh

TF
Reaction score
BB10A967-B93F-43AD-A64C-1518B2E5BEDE.jpeg
AB9547AD-7A20-4ACC-90AE-F77A4130E486.jpeg
54BB42B6-863E-4E77-9595-139EEA6259EE.jpeg
1FE5B9EC-993D-4CD7-8AD5-58962EA246D0.jpeg
49DB4FEB-DCD1-41B5-B9B3-F12F738BC125.jpeg
D73E75A2-EB4F-482A-99F9-85D335DE48C7.jpeg
597A76B9-6157-40CB-9239-223FBA10D450.jpeg
0EF622B2-AB2C-4BDD-9B6B-F1A5A616017A.jpeg
9125A793-97C2-44FF-8AEC-AD98ADA74AFC.jpeg

OP
K

Kcoh

TF
Reaction score
Please see the photos above. The difference between the tiles are 3-4mm. The battens below the first tile row is the cradle for the bathtub, which it’s finish level will be 40mm higher. A ~225mm tile is needed below the first row to the bathtub. Also I’d appreciate some feedback on the tile so far given it’s my first time. Thanks

Last edited:

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
So the only wall with split faced tiles is around the window?

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Are the split faced tiles centred from floor to ceiling?

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I think I would centre the marble tile on the second grout joint up of the split faced tiles and work up and down from there so the joints are almost half tile staggered.

OP
K

Kcoh

TF
Reaction score
Are the split faced tiles centred from floor to ceiling?
centred on the window and the window is not in the centre of the wall. I think that will work, although I will have a small awkward cut up the first row but at least I will have one awkwardly lined joint. The joint below the first row will match and and I can cut them at the bath to match too. Shall I repeat the same on the opposite wall?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Butt joint the split face so it looks like one sheet ( as much as possible).

Tile the rest as normal..

Reply to Help ... 2 different tiles joint don’t line up (assumed both 30x60 but not) in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock