Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Hello, here for the great advice in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

long time lurker, first time poster.

Here for all the great advice!

I'm looking for advice on tile trim and the best way to go about it for the top edge of the herringbone style displayed below.

Is it ok to leave an unfinished edge and the paint/caulk/silicone it?

Also what about the shower alcove also pictured below?

Is a tile trim best here or is a mitre a sound option? (the tiles are 8mm thick ceramic, they are a matt finish and have no bevel, 300mm x 100mm)

upload_2018-9-6_11-36-35.png

upload_2018-9-6_11-35-54.png

OP
M
Reaction score
We did consider squaring off the pattern but we felt the zigzag edge added to the design of the room.

Using a tile trim on this would seem a right pain for the tiler, I think there are around 80 exposed edges.

What would you recommend if the zigzag edge was kept?

Thanks in advance

W

Waluigi

It would take a disproportionate amount of time to get trim mitred onto the ‘zig zag’

I would just paint it.

Mitring the alcove is possible, it just depends on the skill level of the Tiler.

Sometimes shelves are popular in alcoves, maybe something to look into?

Edit, as in a solid piece of quartz (for example) on the bottom of the alcove with a small slope for the water run off.

If it is trimmed then I tend to take the tile a fraction of a Millimetre above the trim and again, slope the tiles just enough to get the water running off but not enough for the eye to see

W

Waluigi

I’d go white personally.

However it might be worth looking at some Schlüter trims to see if there’s anything you might like. They have an incredible range.

Reply to Hello, here for the great advice in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock