Discuss Hello everyone! quick question to get me started in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

M

mr white

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello, and introduce myself :)

I'm Mick, recently got into developing property, I got experience in many trades and now I want to try my hand at tiling, so I'm here to learn and chip into the knowledge pool!

Ok I have a first question for you Pro's ;)

Do you need to use ditra mat on a concrete floor that has no cracks but has recently had hot&cold pipes chased into the floor and filled with concrete?

I would be concerned that the use of the taps could cause the area to move slightly and produce a crack.

I'll be laying, porcelain wood effect plank tiles, most probably Keraflex Maxi S1 (white)

Cheers!

Albert

TF
Supporter
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello, and introduce myself :)

I'm Mick, recently got into developing property, I got experience in many trades and now I want to try my hand at tiling, so I'm here to learn and chip into the knowledge pool!

Ok I have a first question for you Pro's ;)

Do you need to use ditra mat on a concrete floor that has no cracks but has recently had hot&cold pipes chased into the floor and filled with concrete?

I would be concerned that the use of the taps could cause the area to move slightly and produce a crack.

I'll be laying, porcelain wood effect plank tiles, most probably Keraflex Maxi S1 (white)
You can just go ahead and tile it as long as the new concrete has dried. You can put down a crack mat if you want you won't harm it

OP
M

mr white

Hi all, thanks for your responses!

I've clean the floor up, and the concrete does have a crack going through (about 2/3mm) I think it was due to old pipes being moved. Would I be correct in thinking that because the floor is not new, there should be a minimal chance that there will be movement? Also is there a particular product (decouple) that will do the job? I'm tiling the bathroom after this job which will be on ply wood so could I use ditra mat to go over the crack/pipes area?

OP
M

mr white

Also..... (so for all the questions) My dining room floor is going to be sanded floor boards, and I want the tiles to be inline with the boards, Would I be best to lay my first tiles where the tile meets the floor board? Or should I start from the middle of the room? Mick

Albert

TF
Supporter
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
i dont think it matters where you start as by nature the way to lay wood effect tiles
is the same as laying wood, at random

Reply to Hello everyone! quick question to get me started in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer