Discuss Hello all, advice needed on split face tiles please! in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

M

Matt1972

Hello everyone, thanks for letting me join here!
I'm after some advice on split face tiles (the ones glued together rather than webbed backing) as I've never put them up before. My other half wants a strip about 4' wide, floor to ceiling, to surround a wall mounted electric fire. They will be going onto a skimmed rendered wall but it has been painted a number of times. I will rough up the finish first to help with adhesion but I'm concerned that weight may be an issue. Also, could you possibly advise on the type of adhesive I will need? The tiles will becoming from Wickes.

Thanks

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

If it is rendered get the paint off back to the sand/cement, prime with sbr then stick your panels of split faced tiles with a fast set cement based adhesive ( bagged).

OP
Q

Qwerty

As above ^^

Or remove paint, prime, then overboard walls with tile backer board - glued (using cement adhesive) & mechanically fixed to the wall.

These are the only ways that the wall will take the weight

macten

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Heatgun and a good scraper works well

OP
M

Matt1972

Thanks for your help, it sounds a bigger job than I wanted to take on to be honest. She did speak to a couple of bods in Wickes an they said the tiles would be fine to put up with normal pre mixed adhesive..... Good job I checked!

Reply to Hello all, advice needed on split face tiles please! in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer