Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Hearth Tiles have come loose in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. jimbo

jimbo Professional Tiler

I recently tiled a hearth with porcelain tiles but they have lifted.They were set onto slc built up to approx 40mm.The slc was allowed to dry and then primed.The smaller tile pieces on the front are ok .Its just the tiles on the top that have lifted.Any ideas why this would happen?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by Andystiletiling, Apr 11, 2019
  3. Andystiletiling

Andystiletiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Best Answer
    How long before the fire was lit? Like with ufh the adhesive needs a couple of weeks minimum to fully cure..
    What adhesive, did you backskim the tiles?

4. acaciaguy

acaciaguy Professional Tiler

I have fitted many tiles under log burners. What tiles. What adhesive. How long did slc have to dry etc. How thick are tiles

5. jimbo

jimbo Professional Tiler

The fire was switched on 2 days after.Maybe that's it.The primer had been dry for an hour at most.I used Tilemaster rapidset flexible adhesive.The tiles are 10mm thick and I back buttered them.Dont want to relay them if I haven't found out what caused it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andystiletiling

Andystiletiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Could be something as simple as that.. @Glynn@Glynn from TM is on here he might have another idea?

• Like Like x 1
  7. acaciaguy

acaciaguy Professional Tiler

Yes could well be too hot too soon. Check with manufacturers of slc and addy re: temperatures and cure time