Discuss Hardiebacker 6mm Vs 12mm Ply in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

justyjust

IM sure its been asked many times, i've always plyed floors 12mm and tiled over but recently i noticed a lot of people using hardiebacker for all areas. i have used hardiebacker to replace wall plasterboard in bath shower areas, i have a kitchen floor to replace which has cracked all over due to lack of support and movement i the floor.

it seems the previous person tiled this kitchen floor with 6mm ply on floorboards and tiled, obviously the tiles broke and now require being replaced but i have been told 6mm hardiebacker is as strong has 12mm ply is this correct and I will use it for this job.

thanks j

S

Stef

12mm ply is too thin, British standard state 15mm overlay.
I very rarely tile to ply these days & have done for years.
Hardie backer glued & screwed to the deck will be stronger than any ply I suspect as you end up with a superior bond.
It doesn't really matter what you overlay your floors with as if you have movement in the substrate then it's going to transfer through to the tile.
You need to start from the subfloor up.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
For the 6mm hardi to be as strong as ply it has to be glued down with tile adhesive and screwed not just screwed as I e seen people do

J

justyjust

`the floor on this job seems alright is just that his used 6mm play with 300 x 600 ceramic weak tiles and his kitchen fitting is hopeless too as all the kitchen is no good have you had to pull up and hardiebacker glued and screwed to floor boards before? you must have to rip the whole floor up?? what adhesive do you use under the hardiebacker? cheers

Bad language is not acceptable, and apart from that, not necessary!

Last edited by a moderator:
J

justyjust

some pictures

IMG_20160611_104236.jpg IMG_20160611_104402.jpg

O

Old Mod

`the floor on this job seems alright is just that his used 6mm play with 300 x 600 ceramic weak tiles and his kitchen fitting is hopeless too as all the kitchen is no good have you had to pull up and hardiebacker glued and screwed to floor boards before? you must have to rip the whole floor up?? what adhesive do you use under the hardiebacker? cheers

Well @justyjust u've certainly made an entrance!
DO NOT use language like that again!

S

Stef

I've pulled up Hardie before & it's a nightmare to do, it was only a small part but torture to do.
I've tiled to 6mm ply a lot of times years ago & never had a problem but that was before I knew any better & ply today isn't what it used to be.
Have to move with the times, even though Hardies been about for 20years or so..

U

Unused Account 1

Ply probably does shrink ,but before hardie ive done hundreds of jobs on ply not one come back or problem

Reply to Hardiebacker 6mm Vs 12mm Ply in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks