Discuss Hardie backer on top of shower tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Harrand

TF
Reaction score
hi guys after some help

Am in the process of re doing ensuit. Have ripped out shower and base and want to know does the hardie backer go behind or on top of stone resin square tray? 3 walls are to be tiled and don’t think with the hardie backer installed all the way to the floor the tray will fit.

The tray that came out had the four little sides round the edge so was a little larger than the flat sided tray I have found!

Any advice is much appreciated

59F3245F-CEE3-49E3-A8E3-40F46D10168A.jpeg

D

Dumbo

Normally to the floor. You also have to consider spacing for shower screen . But unless im reading it wrong your statement about new tray and old is contradictory to your earlier statement

Harrand

TF
Reaction score
Hi thanks for reply the old tray had 4 upstand/ lips round the edge where as the new one I have ordered does not, it’s flat top.

The original tray worked out about 773mm because of the upstands that were sunk in wall. In which they put harder backer on top of the lip.

I believe the space I have between the metal studs on the right and wood Battons on left plus 24mm of Hardie backer to the floor will not fit the new shower tray by about 10mm. hence reason for asking if Hardie backer can go on top!

I am minded to find a tray with the upstands and fit like for like if the best option!

Thanks again

W

Waluigi

If it doesn’t fit then board out two walls, bed the tray down and then fit the third wall, as mentioned please observe the Minimum/maximum compensation of your shower screen.

Also you will need something to screw to horizontally where the Hardibacker drops onto the tray.

Harrand

TF
Reaction score
Excellent what side would you recommend to board on top of tray under shower or furthest?

I’m guessing I need to silicone between board and tray before tiling?

I am tanking hardiebacker before tiling!

W

Waluigi

I’d probably get the two metal stud walls in first. It would be easier to get some noggins on the left hand wall IMO.

Reply to Hardie backer on top of shower tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks