Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Hanging cabinet on travertine tile and plasterboard - what fixings? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

B

benjchelt

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi and thanks in advance for any help! I have fitted 12mm thick travertine stone walls on 12.5mm plasterboard with approx 3-4mm https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.

There is no way to get to any studs so I am looking at using spring toggle screws into the hollow wall behind. But with the combinations above there will be about 28mm between the cabinet (12kg empty, 4 fittings) and the back of the wall where the spring attaches. The spring toggles I saw suggested a 14mm hole for the spring and 3mm screw, so I am slightly concerned that there is an unsupported 10mm-ish gap horizontally around the screw between the cabinet and the wall.

Does this matter? Or is there a better method? Thanks.

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
when I use toggle screws I usually screw the toggle itself off the screw and put a grommet (usually home made from plastic or rubber) over the screw so this sits in the hole to support it in the 10mm gap. I have to say though I would be uncomfortable putting 12kg cabinets on small toggle screws. I would tend to use heavier duty fixings specific to the task. Speak to your local kitchen and bathroom suppliers who will be able to help, or put a batten on the wall to span the studs and screw the cabinet fixings into that.

OP
B

benjchelt

when I use toggle screws I usually screw the toggle itself off the screw and put a grommet (usually home made from plastic or rubber) over the screw so this sits in the hole to support it in the 10mm gap. I have to say though I would be uncomfortable putting 12kg cabinets on small toggle screws. I would tend to use heavier duty fixings specific to the task. Speak to your local kitchen and bathroom suppliers who will be able to help, or put a batten on the wall to span the studs and screw the cabinet fixings into that.

Thanks Alan

OP
D

Dumbo

I would be tempted to make a hole in the wall behind the cabinet and put timber in even if it is only ply put in the cavity for you to screw into and this would spread the load far more than any cavity fixing.

OP
Q

Qwerty

I've used toggle fixings many times before in circumstances such as these with no issues. Battens in walls are preferable of course.

OP
O

One Day

i'd prefer to use hollow wall anchors rather than toggle fixings. they seem to spread the weight better onto the rear of the plasterboard.
just be sure to flatten the teeth on the head if you use them.

OP
O

On one

Pack the 10mm at the back of the cabinet with timber shims??
Or with a bit of foresight you could have fitted plywood inside the studwork and screwed your cabinet onto that.

Reply to Hanging cabinet on travertine tile and plasterboard - what fixings? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock