Discuss Half tiled wall around bath- want to tile the rest as adding shower. Advice on prep please in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dannnn

TF
Reaction score
Hi,

We have a new build and the walls around the bath are half tiled. We now want to add a shower and so need to tile the rest of the wall up to the ceiling. It is likely the wall is just straight plasterboard? And would you recommend we use a full tanking kit for the half wall prep?

Thanks

F

Flintstone

I wouldn't bother tanking the top half of the bottom half is tiled already without tanking as that is really the most important area. Can you not re tile ?

Dannnn

TF
Reaction score
Do you think they won’t have tanked the bottom half then?? Here’s a pic.

8124133D-9AE5-42D4-8ED9-85742E7B6D30.jpeg

F

Flintstone

There's no shower there anyway so I wouldn't worry about the tanking. Remove the paint tho

T

Time's Ran Out

There's no shower there anyway so I wouldn't worry about the tanking. Remove the paint tho

They are looking to add the shower.
May be an option to remove the new build tiling, prepare the whole area ( either by tanking or Wedi boards) then retiling around.

S

Spare Tool

For the sake of 10 tiles stripping it off and starting again would be best way, hard to tell from pic but does the corner of the bath comes past the window? If it does its a non starter anyway as there will be nothing to attach a screen to, unless i spoze you could use a shower curtain but they're not the best..

T

Time's Ran Out

For the sake of 10 tiles stripping it off and starting again would be best way, hard to tell from pic but does the corner of the bath comes past the window? If it does its a non starter anyway as there will be nothing to attach a screen to, unless i spoze you could use a shower curtain but they're not the best..

May be putting the shower at the other end with new direct feed.

W

Waluigi

Keep in mind (if the shower is going opposite end to the tap end) that the user will be standing quite far away from the shower due to the slope of the Bath back rest. Showers are meant to go at the tap end of a Bath.

As a DIY job, I suppose you could just tile above the existing tiles. A professional would want you to strip out and start again, including tanking.

My opinion is to do it once and do it right.

Reply to Half tiled wall around bath- want to tile the rest as adding shower. Advice on prep please in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks