Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Grouting going off colour in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

S

Sam K

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I have grouted a floor using the BAL Smoke grey however it is not coming out that colour and is very patchy. Some bits are light grey and some are dark. It has also happened to me before. I am using a fresh clean bucket, added water and stirred with my hand with a glove on to get the right consistency, however don't know why I'm getting this reaction. Any suggestions? I have attached photos

IMG-20180731-WA0036.jpg IMG-20180731-WA0034.jpg IMG-20180731-WA0035.jpg

OP
O

Old Mod

Grey grouts are notorious for drying patchy nowadays.
You should empty the contents of the bag in to a dry clean bucket first and dry mix the grout.
This will ensure that the pigments are evenly mixed throughout the grout first, then mechanically mix the grout with a small paddle.
This will be especially true if you’re not mixing the entire bag all at once, and you should make sure that mixes are identical, proportional to the amount of water used.

Another reason a grout will dry patchy is because of efflorescence. (Excess water at some point) the grout dries too slowly and salts are drawn up thro the grout because of the slow rate of moisture release.
That can be caused by standing water already in the joints when you grout, or using excess water when washing off.

It does appear tho in this case tho that you’ve just not mixed the grout thoroughly enough and the pigments are not evenly distributed throughout the grout mix.

One other reason it can happen is if you try and ‘top up’ already drying or dry grout.

OP
F

Flintstone

I don’t think that’s an issue with the pigments not mixed right, I think that’s a problem with over washing or washing too soon, or both.

OP
I

Italy

Grey grouts are notorious for drying patchy nowadays.
You should empty the contents of the bag in to a dry clean bucket first and dry mix the grout.
This will ensure that the pigments are evenly mixed throughout the grout first, then mechanically mix the grout with a small paddle.
This will be especially true if you’re not mixing the entire bag all at once, and you should make sure that mixes are identical, proportional to the amount of water used.

Another reason a grout will dry patchy is because of efflorescence. (Excess water at some point) the grout dries too slowly and salts are drawn up thro the grout because of the slow rate of moisture release.
That can be caused by standing water already in the joints when you grout, or using excess water when washing off.

It does appear tho in this case tho that you’ve just not mixed the grout thoroughly enough and the pigments are not evenly distributed throughout the grout mix.

One other reason it can happen is if you try and ‘top up’ already drying or dry grout.
sorry marc,
I had not noticed that you had already said.
for me in the morning English is mixed with Italian and dialect...:mad:

OP
O

Old Mod

I don’t think that’s an issue with the pigments not mixed right, I think that’s a problem with over washing or washing too soon, or both.

Well the reason I would say it’s not efflorescence is because a symptoms is that the grout is lightened in appearance, not darkened.
As the original colour is smoke grey, which I believe to be quite a light shade, you wouldn’t be getting the dark shades If it was suffering from salt deposits.

OP
F

Flintstone

Ahh, I’m not familiar with smoke grey so not sure what colour it’s sipposed to be but those really light almost white patches must be efflorescence

OP
B

Bill

I always try and 'peg' the grout joints with these new grey grouts and that seems to stop any shading issues. If the joints are narrow like these, then I would just let the grout firm up a lot and then rub the grout joint with a fluffy towel. That works too.

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
One swipe with a sponge and that's it
No more washing till next day
Find it a git to use but mapei always seems to dry consistently

Reply to Grouting going off colour in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock