Discuss Grouting colour not white argghhhhhhhh in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Crumbs

hi, done some grouting today and upon drying - sections look greyish (meant to be white!!)- up close its hard to notice it but it is definently grey from a distance. I used powdered mapei grout, though i think my mixture likely had a little to much water in it maybe as i've noticed some cracking.

Any ideas what may cause the colour to be greyish? I am thinking of raking it out and going with a tubbed version like this Mapei Waterproof Fix & Grout White 1.5kg - http://www.NoLinksToThis/p/mapei-waterproof-fix-grout-white-1-5kg/64982

Would that be okay to use just for the grouting? Thanks lads :D:cool:

Q

Qwerty

Too much water, washing off too soon, wrong mix, dirty tiles... any of these things could have led to your issue.

What type of Mapei grout did use?

Try a cement residue wash first as it could be efflouresence. Do not use a tubbed grout!

C

Crumbs

Ive attached a pic. I think its properly to much water then as its more grey at the start then goes white which is likely when i added more powder.

I left it 15 mins before i washed it, problem im finding is the time scales - as a novice i cant get it all up quickly and find where i start is drying before ive finshed and it still needs to dry at the end - then confusing how to do the sponging. Thats what i was thinking using tubbed as i have time more on my hand and not having to worry about the mixture drying up to much.

What are the reasons to not using tubbed grout? Appreciated it cheers

grout.jpg

M

Matt Bott

If you had to much water in mapei UCP you wouldn't get it on your float you would have to use a water pistol, if you follow instructions on the bag and do small bits at a time take your time you will be fine as the residue on the tile face dries that's a good indicator to start washing of but beware you have not picked the easiest brand to use it can go off rather fast sometimes :)

C

Crumbs

nice one thanks Matt - unfortunately i made the mistake of mixing up to no measurements in a pot without a stirrer (watched to many youtubers doing this) - never imagined it would effect colour etc. Will use a stirrer next time.

Can anyone tell me why tubbed grout is bad vs powdered?
Any products i could go with that has a extended open time, thanks alot :)

T

Time's Ran Out

Ready mixed grout shrinks as it dries out, leaving cracked uneven joints. Can take a few days to dry and if on an impervious surface may not fully cure.

Mark Frost

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
Get some fine white Grout by Ultra. Its in a purple bag. Its alot easier to use and doesnt go off on the surface of the tiles as quick. Its powder grout as well.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yeah you need the fine stuff if you want brilliant white. Regular white ultra colour against white tiles looks off white grey.

Reply to Grouting colour not white argghhhhhhhh in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks