Discuss Grout coming away from outdoor tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I have a client that has an outdoor area tiled with 20mm porcelain (600x600mm) where the grout is breaking out of the joints. It is on a very solid timber platform with (I’m assured) 25mm outdoor grade plywood as the top. It has been grouted with Kerakoll Fugalite Bio which now has come away from the tiles themselves leaving a hairline crack on some bits and lifting out completely in some others.
There is no obvious movement in the deck (a full glass of water didn’t spill or indeed wobble with the 16 stone client jumping up and down next to it) and he’s asking for a solution.
Any ideas of a product that could be used in place of the Fugabio?

O

One Day

No obvious movement you say - but there will be TONS of lateral movement with this heat.
There should have been an uncoupling membrane used.
Without one, there is no solution. The grout has cracked and de-bonded due to excessive lateral movement.
(based on your info given)

External tiling on ply is simply asking for a failure in my opinion anyway!

Reaction score
The tiles seem well bonded but I’m sure if I put a bit of effort in they’d come away. Do you reckon a ditra cover and re-tile would solve it? Or maybe overlay with cement board, then ditra (or similar)? Just looking at options for them without trashing the whole area.

O

One Day

If it really is well-braced then I would have fixed Ditra drain 4 (as it's external) and this would have covered all bases.
I'm not a fan of cement boards because they hold water like sponges.
If the timber is sound and strong, clean it back, prime it, fix Ditra drain and you're good.
How big is the area? Does it need expansion joints?

Reply to Grout coming away from outdoor tiles in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoponbaby
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks