Discuss Greasy marks when sealing - transit wax? in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

t0m

We have had 4 square meters of polished porcelain tiles laid in our bathroom. These ones from Homebase. The Website says they need sealing so I bought some LTP MPG sealer and applied it as per the instructions. When buffing, the surface turns to greasy, smeary mess - the transit wax problem?

My question is, how do I tell if there is transit wax? There doesn't seem to be any evidence of it on the tiles as they came out of the box.

I have scrubbed off the MPG and tried HG Power Cleaner to remove the wax on the advice of a local tile supply shop. I applied it liberally, undiluted, but after plenty of agitation using a green scouring pad there is no discernible difference between the laid tiles and those fresh out of the box. Should I be able to tell when the wax is gone?
I tested more MPG on the Power Cleaned tiles and the same greasy, smeary marks appear when buffing.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
do the greasy smear marks dry away, any photos?
When you are sealing these,do you remove all excess-are you leaving a slight wetting to dry in?
do a single test tile, keep wet for the suggested saturation, take a white old towel and buff completely dry after this saturation. turn the towel and keep buffing- do not leave a wet look finish to dry in ,completely buff dry!! try this and let us know how you get on.

T

t0m

Thanks for your reply, Lithofin BOB.

On my first attempt I used lint-free cloths and then kitchen roll to buff/remove excess. The marks were still there after several hours and I didn't want to risk them drying in permanently so I scrubbed the sealer off.

I've just had a test run on an offcut tile which has previously been cleaned with HG Power Cleaner. I followed your instructions, this time applying MPG much more sparingly. I gave it 15 minutes and then buffed for quite a while using both sides of an old white towel. The marks are less visible this time but definitely still there. I have attached some photos (sorry they are not very good - it is very difficult to photograph the marks).

I will leave this offcut tile to dry for 24 hours to see how it looks. Do you think the marks will dry away?

Can anyone answer my original question of if you should be able to tell when there is transit wax present?

GreasyMarks1.jpg GreasyMarks2.jpg

O

One Day

I would get some methylated spirits on there with a microfibre cloth, and give them a few good washes with the spirits. That would shift any transit wax. 4th time; just buff with a clean microfibre and see if they come clean.

T

t0m

I would get some methylated spirits on there with a microfibre cloth, and give them a few good washes with the spirits. That would shift any transit wax. 4th time; just buff with a clean microfibre and see if they come clean.

Just to be clear: the marks are there after I apply the sealer and buff it dry.
Before I apply the sealer there are no marks on the tiles.

O

One Day

Just to be clear: the marks are there after I apply the sealer and buff it dry.
Before I apply the sealer there are no marks on the tiles.
Any excess that hasn't been absorbed by the tile will appear as a residue. I'm not familiar with mg as a sealer. Does it smell like naptha/petroleum?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Transit waxes are generally seen as a smear to start with .

I don't think they will dry away, you need to buff the tile back to the polished finish straight after the saturation, as above try buffing harder.

Reaction score
I use a slightly damp rag dabbed into some good dusty floor sweepings. Marble or granite grinding dust works best.
Buff the polished surface and the dust will help cut through smears.
Follow with a clean rag or ideally with a lambs wool bonnet on a polisher(slow speed)
Smears always appear when a stone or any polished surface has reached saturation point so you are doing it right.

T

t0m

Thanks, all.
I ended up buying some Lithofin Protective Impregnator as this did not seem to be naptha-based. After much buffing the end result is ever-so-slightly cloudy. I am out of time as the plumber arrives to install everything tomorrow, so it will have to do!

I appreciate the dust tip, rockmonkey. Perhaps I will re-do the sealer at some point in the future...

Another question: anyone know the difference between Lithofin KF and FZ? I was only able to find FZ locally but the description of both products seems identical.

Reply to Greasy marks when sealing - transit wax? in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks