Discuss Good evening fellow tilers......... in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Chewie

TF
Reaction score
Has anybody out there ever laid 1200 x 1200mm porcelain?
If so, have you used a snap cutter that can handle them?
They're from tilestoyou.co.uk
I blame Grand Designs!!
Any advice would be magic.

O

Old Mod

1200 x 1200 porcelain are not so uncommon.
If they're 10-11mm thick, most any decent slide cutter will handle them easily.
I was fitting 1800 x 800 x 10mm porcelain couple weeks ago, and my sigma handled them with ease, only on the cross cuts obviously.

OP
C

Chewie

TF
Reaction score
1200 x 1200 porcelain are not so uncommon.
If they're 10-11mm thick, most any decent slide cutter will handle them easily.
I was fitting 1800 x 800 x 10mm porcelain couple weeks ago, and my sigma handled them with ease, only on the cross cuts obviously.
Thanks for the reply 3_fall
I'll see if Sigma do a 1200mm slide cutter.
1800 x 800mm is big!!!

O

Old Mod

What did you charge per metre to install that, do you mind me asking?
Unfortunately we can't discuss prices in public forums.
Because of regional differences it can cause problems for fixers when say a client from London wants to know why he can't pay the same as a client in a less affluent area.
So that topic is barred.
However, once you've achieved 50 posts or more and can prove your profession is that of a full time fixer, you can enter the professional area of the forum, where you can discuss anything you like.
For me personally, I never charge a metre rate as such.
I estimate the time on the job and price by what I want to earn for a day.
The majority of my work would not be suited to a meterage price.

You can see those 1800 x 800 x 10mm here
if you wish.

T

Time's Ran Out

I did a 1200x1200mm porcelain job a bit ago. Easy when there are 2 people but when your 'mate' goes walkabout and you've only got a Zimmer frame for help it becomes hard work - yes you know who you are...

D

Dumbo

I did a 1200x1200mm porcelain job a bit ago. Easy when there are 2 people but when your 'mate' goes walkabout and you've only got a Zimmer frame for help it becomes hard work - yes you know who you are...
Got to admit I think my limit for working on my own with normal thickness tiles to drop in on the floor is 1200 x600 or 1000x 1000

O

Old Mod

I had only half a dozen of those 1800 x 800 x 10mm to fit on the floor, half were only three quarter length, and in such a confined space.
They were difficult to handle on my own, but my Kera lift broken down in to smaller size was a god send for sure.

D

Dumbo

I had only half a dozen of those 1800 x 800 x 10mm to fit on the floor, half were only three quarter length, and in such a confined space.
They were difficult to handle on my own, but my Kera lift broken down in to smaller size was a god send for sure.
Now you're just making me look like the weakling I am after my last post

Nbke8kv

TF
Reaction score
Hi again all - 1200 X 1200 X 6mm ceramic tiles. What is the best practice to tile them if they are going on to a level screed floor? Would you expect the tiller to butter the tile and trail the floor?
What size trail would you suggest?
Can they do anything to the tile before they lay them to be 100% sure of no dust and that they will stick?
Sorry for all the questions - I'm doubting whether the tiller who originally done my job is actually a tiller and whilst he want to come back and fix a job hes done wrong is suggest not to butter the back of the tiles as they very flexible especially the ones with cuts. Just want to make sure im not getting the wool pulled over my eyes.

Anyone know where there are videos on the correct way to do this stuff!!

D

Dumbo

Trowel both the tile and the floor. I resident expert on these matters @3_fall uses and please feel free to correct if I am wrong is trowel that has a notch that is 6mm wide and 10 mm deep

O

Old Mod

Is he saying he doesn’t want to backbutter the tile, is that correct?

The way to lay them is to use a 10mm trowel on thefloor and trowel the tile also, use anything between 6-10mm on tile depending on how level floor is.
Theyile must then be worked forward and backward until adhesive is pushed up thro the joint. You NEED a solid bed and as close to 100% coverage as can be achieved.
A tile every now and then should be lifted to ensure the same standard of coverage is being met.
If they do not have a solid bed they are likely to break.

A bit like this, this install 9 from 15 pieces split clean in half thro poor installation techniques.
This is NOT how it’s done.

9B61842D-CB3C-4239-A909-0DE1E5F2D87E.jpeg 29CDC523-BD05-4722-AD32-F71A1ADACAB3.jpeg A51E30BD-34FE-4AAA-BA4F-65330D07D1FF.jpeg 8C3ED9F7-4E11-4EAB-9C2F-0A1DF0F6B4EF.jpeg

stone tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Errr if you remember correctly I lost you for nearly 3 hours that day as you pitched a tile against the wall of their house and took a nap under it!!!

Reply to Good evening fellow tilers......... in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer