Discuss Glazed porcelain cutting issues in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Time's Ran Out

As I’ve got older I’ve certainly mellowed.
I was about to reply almost word for word with @3_fall but now it’s just - 134m and the tiles don’t cut!
And all this advice is free.

Reaction score
Had the Rep out yeaterday from thd distributer and he was happy with everything that om doing and the equipment being used and he also filmed me cutting 3 tiles and they all split at various points. He thinks tbey may have been over fired and are getting intouch with the factory in india. I'm plodding on with as i need to finish the room ive started. Thanks so much for everyones help and advice.

O

Old Mod

He thinks tbey may have been over fired and are getting intouch with the factory in india.
It costs more to send the rep out than it does to replace the whole order, yet they make us jump thro hoops to prove we’re not idiots and can cut a tile with a wet machine.
They buy this stuff in at less than a fiver a M2, generally £2-3
It’s a joke
What happens if your replacements are all a different shade?
How’s that going to effect the job as a whole?
Will it matter?
It’s far too common now.

O

One Day

My advice - don't let them keep you waiting.
Invoke consumer law - write/email them letting them know that the tiles aren't fit for purpose and are faulty.
If you wait, I reckon they will not do anything.
Nobody will admit they are over-fired, but the cut problem proves it.

Reaction score
It costs more to send the rep out than it does to replace the whole order, yet they make us jump thro hoops to prove we’re not idiots and can cut a tile with a wet machine.
They buy this stuff in at less than a fiver a M2, generally £2-3
It’s a joke
What happens if your replacements are all a different shade?
How’s that going to effect the job as a whole?
Will it matter?
It’s far too common now.
Totally Agree its just cheap tiles, its Really weird that its not every tile, he say its hot spots, I'm using expansion joints in doorways so hopefully it will not notice if the shade is different.

Balloo

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Guys there are some tiles that are simply sxxt , had this problem from fired earth and I used both my sigma water saws push table version and the larger bench plunge version both marcrist 850 blades,, no good .
The costumer complained about wastage of 11 tiles costing £250 fired earth got rid of me and sent there best tiler who worked with them all The time .
I lost two days work never gota job of them ever again .

The plumber was my mate and it turned out the best tiler had the same problem so fired earth changed the tile to something else .
Fxxxxxr's

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Everytime time ive dealt with Fired Earth ive had problems , ive contacted there tech department and they have admitted difficulty in cutting tiles as well ..

Balloo

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I always check the tile before starting a job and if there's an issue I reject the contract . Makes the tile shop look like arseholes .
The costumer usually calls me back to tile with a different tile , and has a long story to tell me about they will never deal with the shop again .

Look there are companies that will only sell cheap garbage for the short term.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for that explanation Marc. I've never heard of over firing, but now I have. I did have a batch of floor tiles that the customer wanted on the wall. I did a test cut and it was one of those porcelain tiles that would not cut in a straight line on a dry cutter. I wasted one tile and got the customer to order a different style of tile. He did and I saved myself from having a nightmare.

Welcome to the forum Sean Kerry

Reply to Glazed porcelain cutting issues in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoponbaby
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks