Discuss Getting a good finish with metal trim in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

TilingPeter

Are there any secrets for getting metal trim to look good? Firstly, should I grout on the underside or just put the trim on the tiles? There is a tiny lip on the edge of the trim but no more than 1mm, it won't hide many imperfections in the tile and I would need to make sure that all of the tiles are perfectly aligned.

The other difficulty I can see if where two trims meet. I have done a mitre cut but it will only look good if the angles are exactly right, and that depends on the trim being fitted perfectly at a right angle. Are there any ways to hide a gap here? People tend to put grout in there for plastic trim but I can't imagine that working for metal (polished).

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The secret to getting metal trim to look right, is to get the tiling spot on, all corners should be square and the tiles should be straight and flush, especially round windows....... Do this and there's no reason the trim shouldn't look spot on..

F

Flintstone

As above, you should make any openings such as windows all level and plumb to make every corner 90 degrees, then it’s a case of mitring at 45 degrees, simple as that! Here’s one of mine I did before Xmas, metal trim.

37D5E504-10E4-4546-B183-DC728A21D518.jpeg

S

Spare Tool

IMO long as it looks identical all round the trim then all good, prefer a small gap around the edge of trim and mitres to grout in myself but long as it looks right it is right..

wp_ss_20180101_0002.jpg

Reply to Getting a good finish with metal trim in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks