Discuss Gaps between Floor tiles and Skirting? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Chris101

Over the past few weeks I have had a new concrete floor put down with under floor heating and porcelain tiles on top.
The skirting has just gone on and I have noticed in some areas that there is rather a big gap 3mm-5mm.

Is this something that I should just accept or make an issue of?
This is the 2nd time we have had to put in a new floor as the first time it was suspended and due to poor installation and un-caping of a drain, we had to this time completely remove the suspended floor and put in concrete....

C

Chris101

pics

20170915_162421.jpg 20170915_162448.jpg 20170915_162426.jpg

B

Blunt Tool

Skirting would sit flat on tiles if tiles are flat/level as this might not be case could get joiner back to scribe skirting to follow contour of tile.

B

Blunt Tool

Solutions are fine but should this be expected for a new concrete floor.
Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill or should the flooring be 100% level since it is concrete?
Yes concrete should have been flat and level

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
bit picky really. Either the carpenter could have scribed and cut the skirting to fit or the decorator could have caulked and painted. 3mm is not a rather large gap its a tiny gap... When the skirting shrinks and the plasterboard on the walls shrinks it'll probably get bigger but still not large... Cheddar Gorge...now that's a rather large gap...

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You could fit a small timber moulding to cover the gap, in any case whether it's the floor or skirting that's off, a good joiner should, as said above ,scribed to the floor.

T

Time's Ran Out

Solutions are fine but should this be expected for a new concrete floor.
Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill or should the flooring be 100% level since it is concrete?
How long had the new concrete floor been down before tiling. You say a few weeks and should it be 100% level.
Depending on the thickness it may not have cured and no floor will be 100%.

Reply to Gaps between Floor tiles and Skirting? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks