Discuss Gap between Tiles and the edge of the room in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

MrT

Hi

I have had some tiling done in my kitchen and I would like some advice.

A tile laser level wasn't used, meaning where the tiles meet the edge of the room, there is a gap. I think this will look stupid.

The guy doing the work has suggested chiselling into the plaster and using a finely cut tile to mask the problem.

I have thought about making the tiles slightly bigger by wet cutting some spare tiles and then attaching them to the existing tile to cover the gap. By blending the two together, you won't see the mistake I am hoping.

Any advice appreciated. I have attached a video.

Cheers

Mr T

Reaction score
Hi

It’s a sloppy mistake but these things can happen, they shouldn’t but they do unfortunately!

I see a couple of options but others may have more.!

-You could slightly kick your skirting at the bottom and cover the remaining gap with a neat mastic bead.

- you could ask your tiler to slightly reduce the size of the last full tile and re-polish the edge , this would allow a bigger cut to the skirting.

-you could rip it up and start again.!

It’s your shout as it’s your floor but I’m sure with some clever carpentry and a mastic joint from someone capable it’ll look fine.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with using a laser, it's just bad setting out, when I was learning to tile many moons ago, I was taught to never fit your first tile till you know where your last one is going !!
Anyway it looks like a full tile...?
So you can either put a slither in which would look pants or pack the Skirting out, make it look like a box type thing..

M

MrT

Hi Wolfie

It gets bigger as you go out. But at the end of the room, you have the kitchen units, so it will be hidden thankfully.

But it will be exposed by the door as you walk in annoyingly.

Reaction score
Ah there is a doorway on that wall.!
You are left with a slither in that case as no matter how far you pull the skirting off you need to finish the tile under the door.
Unless you create a wooden threshold that looks like it’s deliberate.?
Could you post a pic of the doorway please?

Reaction score
Ok so it’s just bad setting out.

You could pack skirting and architrave slightly and hang door on far side of the frame if possible.
That would do away with a slither.
Annoying for you but you have options.

Are you happy with the rest of the floor?

Reply to Gap between Tiles and the edge of the room in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks